Options

Opals from Australia

Does anybody have recommedations on places to purchase nice opal jewelry or heard of places in Australia? I would like to purchases a couple of things as gifts. Thanks Alison

Comments

• Options
    I assume by 'Nice" you mean quality pieces? There are a few alternatives. If you are travelling to the mining regions themselves ...Lightening Ridge in Queensland for black opals or Cooper Pedy in South Australia for white opals, you can buy rough or polished, un-set stones at source and have them set where ever you choose. Alternatively, if you want finished pieces, any reputable jewellers in Melbourne or Sydney can help. (If you are taking the stones out of Australia, you will get the Sales Tax rebated, usually on departure at the airport. This is probably only available at stores selling quality pieces, not "souvenirs".)

Solid opals are expensive, but are unique and divine. They look stunning set with diamonds or pearls. Let's be honest. They look stunning on their own, too! And you don't have to buy a boulder! A modest gem is always classy! ;)

There are also ??? can't remember the technical term!..... cuts which are thinner pieces than solid opal, with a ?? cabochon?? of protective material set on top .... it makes a cheaper stone look terrific.

And there is the "triplex" which is similar to above, but has a backing, opal sliver and topping.... allowing a very reasonably priced gem to look much more special. This is what you will usually find in commercial souvenirs.

I hope you can find something for yourself (!) as well a for gifts.

• Options
    Google either the world's largest opal, or The Olympic Australis. That will lead you to a site that describes the various types of opals and gives you the name of the reputable store where it's displayed. I bought a lovely opal pendant at their Melbourne store, but later found an even more beautiful one at their Sydney store. They gave me full credit for the first one without question. As jdurkin has said, good opals are expensive.
  • Options
    Before we went on this trip a few years ago, we asked a friend (a highly regarded custom jeweler) about buying opals there and he told us that good bargains are improbable or non-existent. You will see places with nice opals at very high prices. The jade (nephrite, actually, and not jadeite) is available in NZ and you might think about that.
  • Options
    We got some gorgeous pieces in Kuranda a few years ago, and I know Tauck visits it on one of their stops. Ask your tour guide where the best shops are..........like anywhere, a good vendor will explain how they're formed, mined, cut and set with no regard to how much time they're spending with you or if they believe you've got deep pockets. The black opals are my absolute favorite--hardly ever seen here in the states unless you're at some very fine jewelers!
This discussion has been closed.