Equipment/clothes you found valuable on safari.

Is a walking stick (collapsable) useful often or seldom? Need more than one hat? Are binoculars frequently used?

Did you need to wash pants and blouses each time worn? Better to wear long pj's or shorts/ minimal night clothing. Does an iPhone work well for photos if you're not a "photgrapher" type?

Any other item you recommend.

Comments

• Redrobin3 wrote:
    Is a walking stick (collapsible) useful often or seldom? Need more than one hat? Are binoculars frequently used?

Did you need to wash pants and blouses each time worn? Better to wear long pj's or shorts/ minimal night clothing. Does an iPhone work well for photos if you're not a "photographer" type?

Any other item you recommend.

What trip are you taking and when?

Walking stick not needed, ever- you rarely, if ever are allowed outside the safari vehicle. One hat. Binoculars used sometimes.

Washing depends how dusty your clothes get and how much you perspire. K&T is at high altitude and doesn't get too hot, nights and early mornings can be cool- sometimes they give you a hot water bottle for you r bed, but it also depends on time of year- check out the weather in the "Before You Go." Most lodges have inexpensive and some have free laundry. PJs- whatever is comfortable. You'll get varying opinions, but I don't think iPhones take decent photos. But, if all you want to do is share on social media, and you are not much of a photog, don't care if you can't zoom or take close-ups, don't want to enlarge and frame, maybe an iPhone is OK.
  • edited July 2017
    Two things about iPhones. It's easy to drop your phone out of the vehicle if it makes a sudden movement while you are taking a photo. Several times we have been in situations when viewing an animal up close when it suddenly became threatening and the vehicle had to move away very quickly, I think we did see a cell phone on a trail. But photo quality-- I don't really take that many photos with my iPhone except of grandchildren but I just got an iphone7 plus and it can zoom to 10x and focus on the intended portrait, it seems pretty awesome. If there was some way of securing it round my neck While taking a photo on Safari, I would consider using it. The reason for getting the bigger phone was I fear a total ban of anything other than a cell phone in the airplane cabin and don't want to check in my iPad or a camera.
    As Alan knows, I differ on your two other questions. We never wear anything while sleeping on Safari.. and we also use binoculars and would hate to be without them. On occasion they are essential, especially on the safaris where you cannot go 'off road'. Just as an add on to Alan's note about binoculars below, I wear glasses and have no problem adjusting my binoculars. If you are not used to them, it's worth a bit of practice before you go. I was taught to point in the general direction of the object you want to view, then track from down to upwards to locate, rather than from side to side many years ago and it helps me find things very easily. Then, when we were on our most recent Costa Rica tour, one of the local guides, a world expert I have seen on TV and had on another prior Costa Rica tour, gave us all a binoculars lesson which was excellent. My husband and I have our own binoculars, they were not expensive and they are compact. My husband has waterproof ones. These are also much easier and lighter to use than a heavy zoom lens on a camera.
  • I didn't want to bring up British's sleeping attire (or lack of) : )

Binoculars, like PJs, are kind of personal experience thing. I sometimes used them, but my wife who wears glasses, has/had a terrible time getting them adjusted, and when she did the object of interest more often then not was gone, so she rarely attempted to use them. It can be a real pain to adjust if there will be two of you sharing one set of binoculars if you have different visual acuity.

We both didn't address your last question, "Any other item you recommend." If you search in the archives of the tour (safari) you are taking and others to same area, you will find a ton of stuff- literally pages worth. Click on "Search' in the "Logged in as: XXXX" bar and enter forum and search terms.
  • No, it is not at all important to wash your pants every time you wore it. You can wear it 2, 3 times and then wash because pants are not meant to wash every single time you wear it. And yes, iPhone works better to capture your photos even if you are not a photographer.
  • I have also seen an iPhone dropped out of a safari vehicle. The owner was fortunate that it fell into a deep pile of dust and nothing broke ... and we were in a place where it could be safely retrieved. I do wish I had used my iPhone to take a picture of my wife while she was taking a picture of a wild lion that was only three feet in front of her. I had the phone in my pocket but was too interested in watching to retrieve it. Most people on our trips used DSLR's while on safari. The iPhone camera was useful for social situations.