Options

Visa for Bolivia

is it preferable obtaining a visa for Bolivia prior to the trip or during the trip at the first entry point into Bolivia? Any information would be helpful. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Hello HerbNak,

All travelers require a valid passport to enter Peru and Bolivia. U.S. citizens must have a passport valid for at least six months beyond the completion of their travel.
    In addition to a valid passport, U.S. citizens are also required to have a visa to enter Bolivia; a visa is not required for Peru. Non-U.S. citizens should check with the Peruvian and Bolivian Embassies or Consulates to determine necessary travel documents.

You have two options for securing your entry visa for Bolivia:

1.) You can purchase your Bolivian visa in advance through Tauck’s visa service, Pinnacle Travel Documents Systems (TDS), for $135 plus FedEx shipping fees of approximately $55. To do so, you may download a TDS visa kit through our website at http://www.tauck.com/Visa.aspx . Please note that the $135 visa cost was current as of this writing, and may be subject to change.

2.) Alternatively, you may wait until you are on tour and obtain your visa from Tauck’s local agent in Bolivia. When purchasing visas on tour MUST bring:
    - $135 USD in cash per-person. All bills must be clean and crisp with no tears, and in smaller denominations (not larger than $20).
    - A passport containing two blank visa pages.

In my opinion, I think it would be easier to purchase your Boivian visa prior to the trip as it would be one last thing to worry about while on vacation.

Maybe some of our other travelers will have more insight.

Hope this helps,
    Tauck Emily
  • Options
    For those who have been on this tour, was it much trouble to allow the Bolivia local guide to handle the visas? I presume the only inconvenience is carrying the cash (in $20 denomination) with us from Peru to Bolivia.
  • Options
    Securing the visa at the Bolivian border is cheaper and easier than doing so in advance. Every person on our tour did it that way. But...you must have clean, crisp perfect bills. Get new money from the bank. Also, our hundred dollar bills were accepted. By the way, many local vendors accept dollars, but the bills must be in very good condition.
  • Options
    We are going on this trip in late April 2013 & I just went on the TDS website to find out that their cost for a Bolivian Visa is $247 for one person & $467 for 2. So it seems to me that obtaining the visa on tour is much less expensive if Tauck has the correct price of $135 in cash per person.
    smbertetti@verizon.net
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Hello Sandra,

There is indeed 2 ways to obtain a Bolivian visa. Through TDS or in person while on tour,

Obtaining a visa while on tour
    - $135 USD in cash per-person. All bills must be clean and crisp with no tears, and in smaller denominations (not larger than $20). Please note that the $135
    visa cost was current as of this posting, and may be subject to change.

Obtaining a visa prior to tour

- Pinnacle Travel Documents Systems (TDS), for $135 plus FedEx and processing fees. To do so, you may download a TDS visa kit through our website at www.tauck.com. (You will find that the “Visa Kits” link at the bottom of most pages on the website, as well as in the “Need to Know” section for this itinerary, under “Preparing to Go"

In both instances, please make sure your passport containing two blank visa pages.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Options
    Hello Emily,
    I did what you said (downloading the visa kit again) but still came up with the figure of $247 USD from TDS so I think your info is incorrect as this info was on your Tauck website. Can you find out what the current cost of a Bolivian Visa at the border as you say it was current in Nov. 2011? What is it now?
    That would help. Thanks, Sandy Bertetti
  • Options
    Hi Susan,

Sorry for the confusion.

The fee of $135 is still current. If you were to obtain your visa while on tour, you will just need to pay the $135 consular fee.

The $247 that TDS charges is based on the $135 consular fee and misc. service, application, and FedEx fees.

Hope this helps,
    emily
  • Options
    Hi Susan,

Sorry for the confusion.

The fee of $135 is still current. If you were to obtain your visa while on tour, you will just need to pay the $135 consular fee.

The $247 that TDS charges is based on the $135 consular fee and misc. service, application, and FedEx fees.

Hope this helps,
    emily

Emily,

Forgive me, but that's a significant misc. service/application and Fed Ex fee. Why in the world would a traveler apply online, then print out the forms (one for each traveler) obtain 2x2 inch photos, attach a copy of your bank account, etc. AND pay $112 extra for something that appears to be very simply obtained in person with crisp bills and your passport?!

Is there something we don't know? What's missing in this story?
  • Options
    My sentiments, exactly, JacksGrammy & my name is Sandy not Susan. Thanks-probably just an oversight.
    Thanks, Emily-glad to find out the visa price is the same-$135.
  • Options
    Hello JacksGrammy and Sandy (many apologies for calling you Susan),

There is nothing Tauck is keeping secret or not giving you full story, some people are willing to pay for convenience. This is why we give our guests two options.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Options
    I read where we need to have 2 blank visa pages in our passports to get a Bolivian visa. Do these pages need to be side by side or can they have other pages in the middle? I have JUST 2 pages but they are not side by side.
  • Options
    Hello Bossy.

I just checked and yes, you do need the two pages to by side by side. Here is link to the Bureau of Consular Affairs, to help guide you on getting additional visa pages for your passport. http://travel.state.gov/passport/correcting/add/add_850.html

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Options
    In the April 12th departure (2013) we all got our Bolivian visas on the tour -- using perfect currency (no folds, no flaws). The process of getting those visas will remain a part of the special wackiness of our tour group; it was painless and proved to be yet another source of hilarity as Tina (our tour director) solved another crazy problem for us on the run.
  • Options
    Where is it written that the 2 pages must be side by side? Where is it written that Bolivia will not accept pages 22, 23 or 24 as a second page?
This discussion has been closed.