Dress Code

Is it true that men must wear long pants in any/all chapels and churches that we tour in Italy? That would be almost every day (Venice, Florence, Rome). Thanks.

Comments

• Hello FirstTimeItaly,

When visiting chaplels and churches in Italy, it is recommended that visitors dress in a way befitting a holy place. Most catholic churches in Italy require that your knees and shoulders be covered when you enter, even during the hot days of summer. This is particularly important when you visit St. Peter’s Basilica in the Vatican and the Sistine Chapel, where shorts and tank tops are not allowed.

I hope this helps,
    Emily
  • I can't seem to figure this out and would appreciate your suggestion. I've read in the posts that men should wear sport jackets for certain restaurants (or Tauck welcome affairs, etc.). On casual touring days (when not wearing a sport jacket), I don't know how I'd fit my jacket in my suitcase (which, by the way I would have worn on the flight to Italy and therefore would not have packed). Assuming I decide to take a sport jacket, it would appear that I would have to wear it all the time. How do others manage this juggle?

Thank you
This discussion has been closed.