CUBA

WE ARE TRAVELING TO CUBA WITH TAUCK ON APRIL 19,2012.

JUST CURIOUS HOW MANY ARE SIGNED UP FOR THIS TRIP AND WHAT OTHER TAUCK TRAVELERS
HAVE EXPERIENCED IN THIS NEW VENTURE?

WE HAVE TRAVELED MANY TIMES WITH TAUCK AND HAVE ALWAYS BEEN BEYOND SATISFIED; JUST
WONDERING ABOUT THIS NEW ADVENTURE AND WHAT WE HAVE TO LOOK FORWARD TO.

ANYONE ELSE GOING APRIL 19, 2012?

TRAVEL2CUBA

Comments

• I am taking this tour to Cuba in December and am so excited to have this opportunity. Please share your thoughts with the rest of us when you return from your adventure.
  • We are going on March 30th and look forward to the journey. Have done 3 other trips with Tauck and all have been wonderful. Also going on Classic Italy in September. Is anyone else on the March 30th departure? We are looking forward to venturing into new Tauck territory!
  • Very interested in a trip to Cuba. One of the things we'd like to see is the 50's cars. Is there anything available to talk with owners of these cars, visit a museum, have an expert presentation/tour etc. featuring their cars?
  • Going to Cuba with Tauk on April21. Could this be the same group as yours? Are you going to Miami early, perhaps?
  • I just got back from a week in Cuba with Tauck. What an amazing adventure! I'm not just saying that because I work for Tauck; I truly had a wonderful time. The people are super-friendly, there is music and dancing everywhere, food was good, and the selection of day-trips and excursions was an interesting mix of architecture, education, art, etc. As a traveler, I would highly recommend this trip.

One thing that was re-enforced to me about Cuba was that no matter where you travel in the world, people are still people and want the same things out of life. Our two governments may not agree on all things, but the Cuban people really like Americans and are just as curious about us as we are of them. Cubans want their kids to grow-up educated, healthy, put food on the table, etc. just as we Americans do. Granted they do not have all of the same liberties and freedoms that we do, but this has not made them any less hospitable or generous. I only wish I could have brought my family to share in the experience.
  • We are going May 17. 2 things missing from itinerary which we are interested in are the supposedly wonderful Bellas Artes museums and synagogues. Any chance of including them?
  • Thanks for the information, Aaron...we're beginning to look forward to our trip. Did you come across anything in your Cuba travel
    that you DID NOT expect? Thanks!
  • Thanks for the information, Aaron...we're beginning to look forward to our trip. Did you come across anything in your Cuba travel
    that you DID NOT expect? Thanks!

Actually yes! I only expected to see a couple dozen of those old cars from the 50"s, but there are in facts thousands of them. They are everywhere! I also wish that I had personally done more research on Cuba before I left. I read about Cuban history in the guidebook, but wish I had done more. (I am not old enough to remember the Revolution, Bay of Pigs, etc.) Things would have made even more sense when I got there and I could have asked even more informed questions. Right now I'm watching the movie "Che" starring Bencio Del Toro on Netflix; Very good movie and I'd highly recommend watching it before you go to Cuba.
  • edited April 2012
    I also just got back from Cuba, am also a Tauck employee, and agree with Aaron; it was a wonderful trip and an incredibly moving cultural experience on so many levels. The old cars are indeed everywhere and bring back fabulous memories. Unlike Aaron, I AM plenty old enough to remember the Revolution, Bay of Pigs, Cuban Missile Crisis and when those cars were new!! Many of them are now being used as taxis, and have been lovingly restored. Wonderful photo ops!

@snm: As you know, this journey is a very special opportunity because Tauck was able to get a special license to travel to Cuba. Because of the terms of the license, the itinerary is much more heavily scheduled than the usual Tauck trip. However, I love art, and by careful planning I did manage to get to the Cuban art collection of the Museo de Bellas Artes (it's in a modern building right next to the Museum of the Revolution).

If you are an art lover, I would highly recommend seeing this extraordinary collection! I would suggest doing what I did - ask your Tauck Director when there might be time in the schedule for you to get there and he/she will assist. I gave up a rest period back at the lovely hotel in order to get to the art museum, but it was worth it!

Also, be sure to tell your local guide of your interest in Jewish culture. The gorgeous, small Art Nouveau Hotel Raquel in Habana Vieja that you will see on the walking tour is steeped in Jewish history.

• To those of you who have already traveled on the trip to Cuba, please tell me if shorts and t-shirts are acceptable everywhere or should I bring pants and a nice top for evening events?
  • snm wrote:
    We are going May 17. 2 things missing from itinerary which we are interested in are the supposedly wonderful Bellas Artes museums and synagogues. Any chance of including them?
    I am going on the same trip and had exactly the same question. Maybe we can do it together.
  • edited April 2012
    SYLVIAD wrote:
    To those of you who have already traveled on the trip to Cuba, please tell me if shorts and t-shirts are acceptable everywhere or should I bring pants and a nice top for evening events?

Hi SYLVIAD,

Your Tauck People-to-People trip to Cuba is casual. Dress for comfort and convenience with a wardrobe that is adaptable and allows for layering. Comfortable, cotton clothing is suggested. High temperatures and humidity in most areas make lightweight clothing practical. Long pants and long sleeves are suggested for sun and mosquito protection. Evenings in hotels are casual with no specific dress code. Casual resort wear is appropriate for dinner in Havana most evenings. Most importantly, bring comfortable yet sturdy walking shoes that have already been broken-in.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Since I'm going in November and live in Florida, heat is not a problem for me...however, are shorts acceptable to be worn at the various places we will be visiting?...Thanks for all the great info, MEH
  • Since I'm going in November and live in Florida, heat is not a problem for me...however, are shorts acceptable to be worn at the various places we will be visiting?...Thanks for all the great info, MEH

Hi MEHtraveler,

Shorts are generally acceptable when traveling in Cuba. It is suggested that pants be worn at dinners, nothing fancy perhaps some comfortable khakis.

Hope this helps,
    Emily

I wore both shorts and light-weight cotton pants during the day, switching up. Linen pants are good too for the climate if you have them. T-shirts are acceptable during the day as well if you prefer. At night, I wore linen shirts, Cuban style-shirts, short-sleeve cotton-collared shirts, but definitely no t-shirts at night. Think about how you might dress up for a nice dinner in the Caribbean.

Hope this helps.
  • We just returned from Cuba and the trip exceeded our expectations. The tour guides are excellent!
  • Just got back from the Cuba trip. I would very happily stayed another week & done it all over again. Wonderful!!!
  • My husband and I are going to Cuba in December and look forward to the experience. One question - what credit cards are accepted in Cuba?
  • Hello HarrietS,

U.S. bank-issued credit cards and debit cards will not work in Cuba, so funds will not be accessible electronically.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Hello, Tauck Emily,

I'm also going to Cuba in December (the 11th-18th). I understand that U.S. credit/debit cards won't work in Cuba. However, how would we pay for "incidentals" at the Melia Habana hotel? I'm thinking about laundry services (since the humidity, even in December, is supposed to be high, I'm worried about not having enough shirts) and bar tabs (for the ever-popular mojito night caps). Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.