Options

Review of Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos Trip - March 18, 2012

With a few noted exceptions, this tour was outstanding and memorable. Our two tour directors did an exceptional job, and went above and beyond to ensure that individual guest needs were met. Given the rigorous itinerary and travel schedule, coupled with the large group size, I would recommend two guides for this tour. The local guides were also excellent, and I enjoyed their personal stories and knowledge of the immediate area.

With the exception of one, all the hotels were fabulous. The food throughout the trip was amazing and plentiful. The farewell dinner in Laos was A+ in every way, and was one of my most memorable activities on the trip. Tauck could not have planned this event better – it was outstanding and perfect.

The Mekong cruise to Phnom Penh was a disaster. There is no other way to describe it. The boat ride from the Victoria Can Tho Resort to Phnom Penh took 12 hours. As in previous tours, the “speedboat” broke down, and we were left without a contingency plan. I was shocked that Tauck would allow such a ride knowing the likelihood of these boats to fail and the lack of alternative transportation. Our guides had to manage the passengers and the luggage from the failed boat – this was an excruciating task and I felt very badly for them. The speedboats themselves were below Tauck standards. The boat toilets were inoperable and the evening bug situation was miserable as there was no shelter from them. When we finally arrived in Phnom Penh, everyone was mentally and physically exhausted. There was no positive take-away from this experience. Suggested Resolution: Travel only to Cai Be and Ving Long to see the floating markets and experience the Mekong, and return to Saigon for onward travel to Phnom Penh. This ensures a longer and more relaxed stay in Phnom Penh, and eliminates the potential for travel issues on the Mekong.

The Palais Juliana in Laos is a miserable hotel. It is wholly inconsistent with Tauck standards. I knew this before embarking on the trip, and had contacted Tauck to see if alternative accommodation arrangements could be made. I did not receive a response. With so many other large and suitable hotels in the vicinity, I was surprised and shocked that Tauck chose the Palais Juliana for the final trip accommodations. It was a huge let-down to an otherwise fantastic trip. There are no “amenities” at this hotel. Our room was dirty and we did not have hot water the first evening. I felt bad for our guides as the hotel choice was not their fault, but they had to manage guest complaints. There are many other fine hotels in Laos, so I am hopeful Tauck will make a change for upcoming trips.

Cambodia was my favorite country and Tauck planned a great itinerary to all of the notable locations. With the two noted exceptions, I thoroughly enjoyed this trip and look forward to another Tauck adventure soon. I would very much recommend this trip to other travelers interested in the Southeast Asia region.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the trip review. We are traveling to Indochina in January. When final itinerary is published for 2013, I will pay close attention to the two problems you noted and see about alternative arrangements if Tauck hasn't already.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Thanks so much for your review. We're booked on this tour Oct. 28, 2012. I'm hoping that Tauck does pay attention to these posts and responds to the 2 major problems you encountered: the Mekong cruise to Phnom Penh (sounds horrendous) and the Palais Juliana hotel. I've called customer service and was assured that issues are taken care of as they arise...so we'll see. This will be our 3rd Tauck tour. The first two were fabulous--I hope we can say the same about this one!
  • Options
    We are booked on the Sept 23 date. I appreciate your review, and hope that over the summer Tauck will have addressed the problems that have been noted on the earlier tour. We are really looking forward to this trip, as we have always been very pleased with our Tauck tours with only minor glitches along the way.
  • Options
    I want to underscore that besides the two noted exceptions, this trip was fantastic, and I would go again in a heart beat. Maybe I just expected more than the other travelers. The Tauck tour directors are exceptional and really go the extra mile to insure everyone has a good time. I hope Tauck keeps the same directors for future trips because they are unbelievably good. The three countries you will visit are all in their own right, truly amazing. Enjoy yourselves and fasten your seatbelt -- this tour is quite a ride!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Hello slw,

Thank you for the thorough review of your trip and we appreciate the feedback.

We have staff on the ground in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos in the next month or so to go over the entire program and to address the concerns you have noted. We are working on a solution for the speedboat and very much appreciate the suggestion of returning to Saigon. We will certainly take that into consideration. In addition we are also working on several other scenarios that would either eliminate or greatly reduce our boat time. We will also be reviewing all boat options while we are on the ground.

We have had several staff members and of course many guests stay at Palais Juliana and the overall feeling is the majority of people really enjoy the hotel. It provides them with a setting where they can relax and enjoy their surroundings. Laos is just opening up to tourism and we did visit many beautiful hotels but for various reasons they did not meet Tauck's high standards that's why we felt Juliana was our best choice. Again, given the concern that you have voiced, we will be conducting full inspection of the hotel as well as revisiting other options.

We are delighted that on the whole the trip was viewed as a very positive experience and we will do our utmost to make sure the trip lives up to everyone’s expectations.

Best,
    Emily
  • Options
    The itinerary for 2013 for Indochina has been published and I am concerned that these issues have not been addressed.

1. "The Mekong cruise to Phnom Penh was a disaster. There is no other way to describe it." The itinerary now just vaguely says we will travel by "various modes of transportation". I would like details, please. I would like to make sure we will NOT be traveling on the "speed boat" used this year.

2. "The Palais Juliana in Laos is a miserable hotel. It is wholly inconsistent with Tauck standards." Is it possible for our group to get accommodations elsewhere, in a hotel more consistent with Tauck standards?

I do not plan to commit until Tauck has assured me these problems have been addressed.

Thanks again for the heads up!

Tommye

• Options
    My agent just responded:

I have checked with Tauck.
    They are using the speed boat going into Phnom Penh.
    They are using the Palais Juliana in Luang Prabang.
    Tauck does not allow tour participants to deviate from the itinerary.

What's up with that?

Should I cancel?
  • Options
    Hi Tommye,

We are aware of the issues with the speedboat and have plans to make changes for later this year to either make the boat a much more pleasant experience or to eliminate it completely. It will be gone completely though by 2014.

We have several staff members traveling out to the area at the end of June. In the meantime we've decided to drive from Can Tho to Chau Doc and board the speedboat there rather than taking the speedboat all the way from Can Tho to Phnom Penh. This eliminates about 3 to 4 hours off the speedboat ride. We will also be reviewing all boat options while we are on the ground.

We will also looking into the possibility of taking our guests back to Saigon and fly from Saigon to Phnom Penh. This would completely eliminate the speedboat.

Regarding the hotel - we really haven't received a great deal of negative feedback and thus won't be changing the hotel for 2013. Several Tauck staff members and many guests stay at Palais Juliana and the overall feeling is the majority really enjoy the hotel. It provides them with a setting where they can relax and enjoy their surroundings. Laos is just opening up to tourism and we did visit many beautiful hotels but for various reasons – mostly they were too small to accommodate our groups or service did not meet the very high Tauck standard. We felt Juliana was our best choice.

Again, given your concern, we will be conducting a full inspection of the hotel as well as revisiting other options.

Again, thank you for your feedback and hope this helps,

Aaron

My agent just responded:

I have checked with Tauck.
    They are using the speed boat going into Phnom Penh.
    They are using the Palais Juliana in Luang Prabang.
    Tauck does not allow tour participants to deviate from the itinerary.

What's up with that?

Should I cancel?
  • Options
    I feel my issues have been addressed. Thanks Aaron, for your response.

From my travel agent:

I have spoken with the agent at Tauck who participated in the tour. She said her trip was wonderful and she was very pleased with accommodations, guides, quality of food, etc.

She agreed that the boat ride of 8 hours was too long. The planning now is that it will be shortened. Tauck intends to move tour participants by road and this will take off about 3-4 hours on the river.

The operations manager plans to visit Viet Nam next month to review the situation and see if any other changes can be made. Perhaps they will be able to shorten it even further, but at this point I don't have any additional information.

No changes have been made to the hotel in Luang Prabang. Hotel gets mediocare reviews on Trip Advisor (middle of the pack of all hotels in the city).

Tommye
  • Options
    Hi...I am considering this trip in November 2012...I am awaiting if any of these somplaints are addressed though...Why can t the Juliana be changed proir to 2014?...I am a single female considering sharing a room with another female, if anyone is interested, to save on the single supplement...Thanks....silkyjo@aol.com
  • Options
    We were just notified that the hotel in Laos has been changed for our travel in January 2013. The new hotel, replacing Palais Juliana is being replaced with the Luang Say Residence, Luang Prabang, Laos. Hooray!

Here's the complete notice:

Enhancement #1: As described in our promotional literature, our normally featured
    accommodations for the nights of Day 8 and 9 have been at the Victoria Can Tho Resort in Can
    Tho, Vietnam. This stay in Can Tho was selected in part because it positioned our groups
    conveniently for their boat ride along the Mekong River from Can Tho to Phnom
    Penh,Cambodia, on Day 10. However, this riverboat ride was rather lengthy and time
    consuming, resulting in a late afternoon arrival into Phnom Penh.

To reduce the duration of this riverboat ride by several hours, and allow your group to arrive in
    Phnom Penh in time for lunch, we are instead shifting our accommodations for Nights 8 and 9
    from the Victoria Can Tho Resort in Can Tho to the four-star Victoria Chau Doc Hotel in Chau
    Doc, Vietnam. As indicated by their common name, both hotels are operated by Victoria Hotels
    & Resorts, so your stay in Chau Doc will provide you with the same high levels of amenities and
    service. And of course, the change in accommodations will also make for a shorter and more
    enjoyable cruise to Phnom Penh and additional time to explore the city. (This change in hotels
    also means that your group will visit a morning market near your hotel in Chau Doc on Day 9,
    rather than visiting a similar market in Can Tho.)

Enhancement #2: The final two nights of your journey, as noted in our promotional literature,
    normally feature accommodations at the Le Palais Juliana hotel in Luang Prabang, Laos.
    However, due to availability issues and other concerns, we have decided to instead provide
    accommodations for your group at the beautiful Luang Say Residence on Nights 14 and 15. A
    member of the prestigious Small Luxury Hotels of the World collection, the Luang Say
    Residence is set amid three-and-a-half acres of lush tropical gardens. We’re sure your time
    there will be a fun and memorable part of your journey.

Thanks, Tauck, for addressing these issues. Finally.
  • Options
    We're on the Oct. 28 tour. Since we only received the 1st enhancement, I assume that our hotel in Luang Prabang, Laos has not been changed from the Palais Juliana. Is that correct?
  • Options
    So, Tauck listens! We were about to book a similar trip with another tour company when the latest Tauck catalog arrived and guess what? The speedboat episode has been shortened because they start from another city than they did in 2012 AND they changed the hotel in Laos to the very same one the other company is using. There no longer seemed to be any reason to book with another company since we almost always travel with Tauck and we have loved them so much in the past. After talking with the booking agents on the phone about the return trip and what time we needed to look for tickets home (after 9:00 p.m.) on the last day, we went ahead and booked last night for the 10/27/13 trip. Thank you Tauck!!
This discussion has been closed.