Options

Packing for China

We are doing the eastbound tour from Beijing on October 18, 2012. Can someone who has done this tour at this time of year tell me what to expect weather wise, and what type of clothing to pack?

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Hi Niniabbott,

In Beijing, Fall temperatures range from 40-65 degrees.

In Hong Kong, temperatures vary between the 70-80 degrees

In the Three Gorges Region, temperatures are usually in the mid- 60s

You can check www.weather.com to get the most up to date weather report.

As for packing:

Hong Kong and China: When thinking about clothing and temperatures in China, you should follow the U.S. seasons as a general guide. - Layering is essential throughout the cooler months, as temperatures will vary. Comfortable, broken-in walking shoes are a must. For dining in the evening, your accommodations include several fine hotels. You may enjoy dressing up a bit at these locations. "Casual-elegant" attire is perfectly acceptable.

WHEN PACKING THE FOLLOWING ITEMS ARE ESSENTIAL:
    -Clothing that can be layered
    -Camera/film/accessories
    -Light jacket/Warm jacket
    -Umbrella
    -Medicines/prescriptions
    -Casual-elegant evening clothes -Comfortable, worn-in walking shoes

We recommend that you pack your prescription medicines (an adequate supply to last through your journey) along with your travel documents and a change of clothing in your
    carry-on bags to avoid any inconvenience

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Options
    We will be on the May 22 trip. Do most of the men take sport coats?

Thanks.
  • Options
    "Casual-elegant" attire is perfectly acceptable.

Sorry, I don't understand exactly what "casual-elegant" attire is for a man. I am assuming it does not mean a suit and necktie. On a scale of sports jacket and tie with dress slacks, to a sports jacket and open neck sports shirt (or polo shirt?) and chino slacks, what do you mean?
  • Options
    Hi There,

Sport coats, chinos, polos are all fine for dinner. Ties are not neccessary. Just remember the most important thing is to have comfortable clothing.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Options
    We went on the trip last May, 2011, and it was fabulous. Clothing was really casual, make sure that you take a jacket for layering,and have an umbrella, a small one is best. There were afew dinners where if you prefered you could wear a nice top for the woman and a cotton shirt for men, but I dont remember anyone needing suits or ties. Tauck takes care of everything and it was truly a wonderful experience.
  • Options
    Nice post...
This discussion has been closed.