Sept 4-19 2019 Botswana, South Africa & Zambia Tour

13»

Comments

• Can someone tell me the name of this animal....I have forgotten.

• cathyandsteve
    12:51PM
    Can someone tell me the name of this animal....I have forgotten.

Looks like a Gazelle.

• More specifically, perhaps an Orix Gazelle.

• edited August 5

It looks like an Oryx but the wrong color. I think there is another one that looks very like it but I just can’t remember the name. Where did you take the picture, that might help with identification

• we took it on a Khwai safari in Botswana Wednesday, ‎September ‎11, ‎2019, ‏‎11:03:19 AM

• Maybe a Defassa Waterbuck?

• A Grant’s Gazelle is the largest of the gazelles.

• edited August 6

The facial marking is different, so I don’t think it is a color variation of an Oryx. I really do remembered seeing a nature show with something that looked very similarly to an oryx but can’t even think of how to google it. It’s not any of the other suggestions And it’s not a Bongo either. I’ll keep looking for a bit longer, I’ve only had one glass of wine.

• edited August 5

It’s definitely a Sable Antelope. I, trying to cut and paste a photograph

Sable Antelope
    Male Sable Antelope or Matsetsi (Hippotragus niger niger)
    Male Sable Antelope or Matsetsi (Hippotragus niger niger)
    Female Sable Antelopes or Matsetsi (Hippotragus niger niger)
    Female Sable Antelopes or Matsetsi (Hippotragus niger niger)
    The Sable Antelope (Hippotragus niger) inhabits wooded savannah in East Africa south of Kenya, and in Southern Africa. Bulls are black and cows are mainly brown but occasionally black. They have vertical white lines on the face, white stomach, white inner thighs and buttocks. Both sexes have horns. These large antelope have a shoulder height of (135 cm) and an average weight of 510 lb (230 kg). Hippotragus niger niger, the southern sable or black sable (also known as the Matsetsi, south-Zambian and common sable) is regarded as the “typical” sable, as it was the first to be described and named in 1838. Often referred to as the black sable because it tends to have the darkest coat, this subspecies occurs south of the Zambezi River, particularly in northern Botswana and in large numbers in the Matsetsi valley of Zimbabwe, but is also found in South Africa. In South Africa, most of the commercial sable farmers crossed their Matsetsi sables (indigenous to South Africa) with western Zambian sables in the hope to move nearer to the nearly extinct giant sable (that was larger with bigger horns). Currently, only about 15% pure Matsetsi sables are thought to exist in South Africa. The Matsetsi sable population in Zimbabwe is only 450 (down from 24,000 in 1994). The sable population in South Africa is about 7,000 (commercial and in reserves). Therefore, the Matsetsi sable population apparently is less than 1,500 and declining. Fortunately, most of the sables in the reserves are pure Matsetsi sables. I saw these in South Africa on a private reserve which makes a profit selling Sable antelope for $8000 per animal.

• I think the angle of your photo makes the horns look straighter than they actually are. You know, I may have seen some in the wild now I think about it. Unlike you, I find it hard trolling through all my photos the way you have to do it here. I find them on my iPad and then lose them on tje thumbnail you have to do to add photos

• edited September 5

one year ago today we embarked on the trip of a lifetime

• edited September 4

That looks like a retirement flight with the AA and the water cannon ... been there, done that, on my last flight to LAX. Ours was on a centerfield taxiway shortly after landing. I warned the people about it so they would not think we were on fire and try to evacuate. Everyone seemed to get a kick out of it. It was really quite touching ... each controller we had going into LA had a few words and a nice ‘goodbye’. I don’t know how they set that up. It just occurred to me, that since it looks like the airplane is outbound, that might have been a retirement ‘washdown’ for the MD-80 aircraft.

• It was a retirement flight and it was so cool!!! We actually saw it twice on this trip!!