Options

Alpine Interlude July 10, 2011

Anyone going on Alpine Interlude July 10 ?

Comments

• Options
    Walt, sorry I'm not going on this particular date, but I'm interested in this for 2013.

I would like to know how you chose this one over the Switzerland tour.

Thanks, Cathy
  • Options
    I can't spend 4 + hours straight on a bus so that pretty much made the decision for me. The Alpine Interlude is nicely broken up. And I can't justify going all the way there from New York and not going to Vienna!
  • Options
    Walt,
    We are going on the July 10 trip. Are you still going?
  • Options
    Hey Fitz, yes we are still going, already starting to pack. For a while I thought we were going to be by ourselves. We are going over a day early, flying from Atlanta. Let me know your plans and we'll get back to you later,

Walt and Helen
  • Options
    Hi - My husband and I will be on this trip also. We are coming from the NYC area and will be arriving in Zurich on July 9th. Since this will be our first Tauck tour, if anyone has some specific advise/strategies, please let me know. Looking forward to meeting everyone....
    Lynne
  • Options
    Lyn and Fitz, If you want to e-mail me my address is wvl3006@gmail.com or you can "Friend" me on Facebook as Walton Linder. We have been on several Tauck Tours so if you have questions we will try to help

Walt
  • Options
    Hey there. Someone asked in another post about laundry service while on the Alpine Interlude tour. We are at our 3rd hotel, the GEORGEOUS Interlapen in Telfs, simply amazing

A brief rundown so far
    Zurich
    pants press in room, full size iron and board upon request. iron all of your clothes here because you will not see an iron again (at least so far)
    Free wifi in room
    good breakfast, if you come a day early and get to the hotel by 1030 go straight to the breakfast buffet, with the time difference you'll need it, we didn't end up eating for over 12 hours.

Interlaken
    beautiful hotel but no a.c. and very hot! bring short pjs to wear
    no iron at all
    wifi in room but not free
    great breakfast

Telfs
    no iron
    no a.c. but not needed, cooler here
    internet in room with LAN cable. wifi in lobby with your device is free (they don't tell you this) or their computers on the mezzanine level free.
    Excellent breakfast!

All had hairdryers
    bring umbrella, most hotels have them to lend but when you are in between hotels you may need it.

I'll update as I go along if you want
  • Options
    Moe, thanks for the info, would appreciate any updates you can send

Thanks, Walt
  • Options
    I've not been on this tour and so don't know about these hotels but my suggesetion is to check with housekeeping to see if they have irons to lend if there is no iron in the room. Very often they do & you can do a quick press of what you are wearing while there.
  • Options
    Moe - Thanks for the great info. Please send more as you encounter new things to share. I have a few questions: What type of clothing are you wearing most - shorts, long pants, casual, dressy, need for sweaters/jackets, etc.? You mentioned umbrellas - has it been raining much? What time does the tour leave for the day each AM (I am not a good early riser)? Is anyone having difficulty with the altitude and curvy roads? My husband has motion sickness sometimes. Well,I'm sure that I'll think of more but that's all for now... Thanx.
    Lynne
  • Options
    Hi, Moe. I'm the one who asked about the laundry service. Thanks for remembering. Let me know if you have your laundry done in any of the hotels, and how it worked out. Keep up the details about the hotels and the weather. I imagine that packing will be a challenge, with the heat and the cool weather. (Does it actually get cold?) We're arriving in Zurich a couple of days early. Was it easy to get around in English? I've been listening to German CDs in the car, but they're not getting me very far. Tschus![with an umlaut]
  • Options
    Ok, wow, so many questions...
    I'll continue where I left off

Lienz
    Iron upon request, not sure about ironing board, I didn't specifically ask for a board too and they didn't bring one. Important thing is the iron though. Put a towel down on the desk and use that.
    Wifi in room (I think)
    Good breakfast, eggs here in switzerland and Austria best I've ever tasted!

Clothing...I'm wearing mostly shorts and capris. But do bring at least 2 pairs of jeans (warm pants) you'll need them for jungfrau mountain,very chilly but not unbearable. And will likely be cold a second day. In Salzburg today and it's rainy and chilly, needed them today and they got wet so I sent them for cleaning. No place up to today to do laundry. If u need something cleaned they will do it but for a high cost. This is the first hotel I've seen where they'll express clean, give it to them at night and they'll have it back next afternoon (won't know til tomorrow if it's really true and how much). The other hotels said 'cleaning back in 48 hours', which u don't have time for. So bring at least 2 knock around pants.

Dressy clothing...first night is meet and greet, smart casual (no jeans or shorts or t-shirts). Next night for dressy is dinner at Sacher Hotel, I wore dressy capris and silk sweater, perfectly fine. Mozart tomorrow, dressy again and then last night dinner smart casual. Smart casual for dinner most nights. Guys need jacket maybe 2 or 3 nights.

umbrella...July is rainy season here, bring one per person. Again, hotels have them,either in room or upon request. But many times traveling between hotels so u won't have one if u don't bring it.

Driving...I get motion sick easy and even had vertigo before I left and I've been fine. Twisty roads on day traveling to dolomites and next day to Salzburg but again bearable. I am wearing wrist bands and am good, others took Dramamine as a precaution. No one has been sick. A little tough on jungfrau due to high altitude, just take it slow, felt a little light headed that day and day after. We have a great driver so that helps.

English is spoken by just about everyone and if not they will get someone who does, very accomodating. Our guide is fluent in at least 4 languages so that's comforting. But u won't have her she moves on to another tour after this one, she's fabulous. But no worries either way.

Zurich...we came in a day early and that was plenty. Our tour started on a Sunday so we came in on Saturday to see markets and Zurich. tauck does not take u through Zurich walking so go see churches and stuff on your own. Shops all closed on Sunday. Which was just as well as things are ridiculously expensive. Paid 99 euro (about $118) for fish and chips for dinner at casual restaurant. Pair of Keds runs 200 euros, so $250 for sneakers. Probably too late to change but u won't need more than one extra night in Zurich. But u really do need the one extra just too see it and get over jet lag. Don't forget anything, deodorant was about $9. U won't buy any souvenirs in Zurich. Probably not til Obermagau.

Hope I answered all questions. If u have more post them and I will try to answer.

Oh wait, what time in the am do we start out. Breakfast usually starts around 7, 6:30 in Zurich. On switching hotel days, bags have to be ready inside your room usually by 8 (some days earlier) and usually on bus by 9 ( some days 8) so it is an early start. They usually give u hour and a half between breakfast start and leaving, but some days only an hour (those days feel rushed)
  • Options
    And bring sweatshirt (sweaters) and medium jacket. Weather changes quickly from warm to cold so u will dress in layers. No heavy coat needed. Cold at jungfrau but not worth bringing heavy coat for that, you stay out there as long or as little as u want.
  • Options
    This is SO helful, Moe. Thanks so much!
  • Options
    I meant HELPFUL!
  • Options
    MoeMoe
    edited July 2011
    Forgot to say to bring good walking footwear. I have light hiking sneakers and they have been perfect. Especially needed at Jungfrau, too many ladies had improper footwear and could't enjoy the mountain. I've worn mine everyday (they go with shorts, capris and jeans). Only time don't wear them is dinner when I dress nicer.

Don't know if Sacher hotel has an iron, I didn't ask because I ironed everything at last hotel before packing. Most hotels here don't have them because they say it' a fire hazard. Again, this hotelhada hair dryer soreally no need to bring one. If u do, you'll need an adaptor AND converter. For regular electronics, cell phone, iPod, etc u just need an adapter, they r self converting.

Convert currency before leaving if u can but uwill need Swiss francs and euros. Probably more euros than chf, we bought very little in swtz because of the high high cost of stuff. Airport charged $9 to get 50 chf. Bank in liichtenstein did not charge a fee. Hotel in lienz tried to charge $24 to exchange $200. But hotel Sacher charged only 2 percent. So be careful when u exchange here as prices vary greatly.

Most places take credit cards, but not all sou do need some local money. Through Lichtenstein is chf after that it's euros.

Enjoy your trip folks. We r on to our laststop tomorrow, Vienna.

Oh, I waited til Lichtenstein to try Weinerschnitzel and then they served it for dinner that night at the farmhouse we stopped at. It was all good though!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Moe, thanks again for the good info, do the hotels have the electric adapters or should we bring our own?
    Fitz and Lynne are either of you flying from Atlanta? We are arriving on the 9th around 8:00 am
  • Options
    Yes, Moe, your information has been extremely helpful. I hope that you had a great time on the trip. If you happen to check this forum again, my one last question is about the amount of walking and the difficulty level.

Walt, my husband and I are traveling from NY and will be arriving on July 9th at about 11 AM. See you then.....
  • Options
    Walking level was fine. On Jungfrau it's elevators to get to the top but then you do walk out on the snow and ice in the ice palace. It's not climbing but it is slippery that's why i suggested good shoes. But again, if you don't feel comfortable going out you can stay inside and enjoy the views from the windows. Only strenuous walk was up to the fortress in Salzburg but just take the funicular instead. A little huffing and puffing but not difficult at all.

For those fromt the USA, baseball hats and t-shirts are decidedly American. I wore a hat in Zurich and I was the ONLY one and it was crowded. No one said anything but apparantly nothing screams American like a baseball hat. And no one really wore t-shirts like we do. Most men had short sleeve collared shirts. It's hard to explain but women don't wear the typical American t-shirt, rounded collar and sleeves. They do wear short sleeve shirts but a little less casual than a tee. Not sure I'm explaining that right.

And dressy nights are not gown type nights like on a cruise ship so don't go crazy. Slacks and a jacket for men, slacks and a sweater or a light dress for ladies.

Last hotel in Vienna does have ironing board and iron upon request.

Dry cleaning at the Hotel Sacher worked out well. It would have been about 50 euros for 4 pairs of pants a button down shirt and a ladies sweater. However, when we checked out (you each have to check yourselves out a each hotel) they didn't have it on the bill. I mentioned it and the clerk said if it's not there then 'it's okay with us' and they didn't charge us so it was extremely reasonable!

If u are flying from NY with a stopover in Germany you will go through immigration there and then won't have to again in Switzerland, so don't be surprised when you get to Switz and just pick up your bags and walk out to meet the driver.

Imperial Hotel in Vienna charges 5% for money exchange so make sure to do it at Hotel Sacher if you will need more Euro for Vienna
  • Options
    Sorry just saw your question about adapters. I had my own that I bought at the airport at a newspaper stand for about $12 but some people did borrow from the hotels. Not sure which had them but it seemed like a hassle to have to ask at each hotel. They are small and cheap so buy one and bring it. You only need the europe adapter (two round prongs) not the converter.
    And the last hotel does have a hairdryer as well so don't bother lugging one.
    And the last hotel has free internet from their business center on mezzanine (very nice setup) but you have to pay for it in your room 9 euro and hour or 19 euro for a day.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Thanks, Moe, got an adapter today for my electronics, appreciate all the information . Hope you have a good flight home

Do you need a tie with your jacket?
  • Options
    Tie needed (not mandatory but common) for dinner in Sacher Hotel and for last night dinner. They like to dress up here so you won't over dress.

Bring some type of duffle bag that you can carry easy enough. There are days where you will be walking and the bus won't be available and you'll want to have rain jackets, unbrella, etc with you that you won't want to have to hand carry.
This discussion has been closed.