Cruise Protection Deposits

Hello. Does anyone have any experience with Cruise Protection Deposits? Of course, I can contact Tauck, but think they are busy enough now, and our projected trip is 6 months off---if it happens at all. But I'm disturbed at the communications I have received when we pushed 2020 tours to 2021--and were told the Cruise Protection Deposits were non-refundable, non-transferable unless Tauck cancels the reservation? One would think that taking a tour is completely at our discretion, and ALL deposits should be refundable--especially with a long lead time. Anyone fought this fight and won?
Best wishes to all in these incredible times.

Comments

• Not sure exactly your question. Are you asking whether you can get a refund of cruise protection insurance if you cancel the trip for any non covered reason e.g. just changed your mind about going vs can't because of a medical emergency. If you cancel then it depends on policy at the time as spelled out in the website. Go to the home page, look for the banner at the top re covid, select the "Click for Details" and scroll to the bottom where there are a series of travel policy updates depending on your travel date.

If Tauck cancels the tour you get a voucher for cruise protection that can be applied to a future trip though there may be an expiration date. They have also been offering a bonus for those who keep the trip deposit (not cruise or guest protection) and any other money applied with Tauck in a Travel Wallet. It's been $250 pp if the final balance hasn't been paid and $500 if it has. They've been fairly generous considering.

In general no you don't get insurance money refunded just because you don't want the item anymore. Would your car insurance be refunded if you didn't claim against it or sold the car while still covered?

• Cruise protection or insurance has never been refundable. Same with land tours. Although it is indeed a different situation when Tauck cancels, it remains the same. This is because Tauck is not the insurance Company. When they offer to put your money in a travel wallet if either you or they cancel to go towards a future tour, they are going over and above what is usual for the travel industry.
    In our case, we have had two tours canceled and our future three tours are also likely to be canceled. That’s a lot of money. The dilemma is, do you not book future tours then find they go ahead and then you can’t get a place on the tour, or do you book several tours and chance tying up all that money until you can travel again. All but one of our tours were booked well before there was a Covid situation.
    In normal times, it’s probably a good idea that insurance money is not returnable. We have met several people on tours who often book tours with no intentions of taking all of them. It appears it is nothing to them to loose several hundred dollars just to be sure they can get on a tour if they want to.

• Thank you to all for your input. I was not looking for a refund...I sincerely hope to travel again---someday. This concern might be premature, but the correspondence--which is old and may be changed many times in the future-read as if there was a 2021 deadline for the 2 tours my husband and I have been signed on for since 2019. 2021 doesn't look at all promising, and it irks. me to think the deposits we have tied up since 2018 can be absorbed due to an antiquated rule. Tauck prides itself on its 95 years of surviving all manner of crises--so, I was just asking if anyone sees this as I do...that these are unprecedented times, calling for tailored responses. Otherwise, it certainly appears to be a money grab to not let funds continue to go forward until the time is right--for us-- to travel. The car insurance anology doesn't apply--alluding to our attempting to 'get something for nothing'
    Cheers to all, and best wishes!

• Little rascals, you should have had correspondence from Tauck, or can read on the website that Tauck has now extended the use of the non- refunds to the end of 2022. I think you are justified in calling Tauck for reassurance.

• British, would you please indicate where on the Tauck website I can read that Tauck has extended the use of non-refunds to the end of 2022. My letter received on 7/14/20 says the Credit amount (non-refunds) has to be used on a 2020 or 2021 tour taken by 12/21/21. Thanks

• Typo: tour taken by 12/31/21. Thanks

• I can’t find it on the website, I’m going to look up my emails. I did find this.
    The funds in the Tauck Travel Wallet never expire, while the credits can be applied toward any 2020 or 2021 Tauck land tour or cruise.
    I’ll try to find our letter about it tomorrow

• All I can find on email was this that we received in August.

Tauck
    Dear Tauck Guest,

We hope that you're staying healthy and safe during these unprecedented times. We're sending this communication as a reminder that you have an existing Tauck Dreamsaver credit that was set to expire on December 31, 2020. Given the ongoing disruption in travel, we are extending the expiration date of your Dreamsaver credits. Your Dreamsaver credits can now be applied to any 2021 Tauck journey that is booked on or before June 30, 2021 for travel on any departure date that is available at time of booking. Our systems have automatically made this update and no action is needed on your part. When you are ready to apply your Dreamsaver credits, simply contact Tauck for assistance.

We thank you for your continued support, and we're looking forward to traveling with you again.

Sincerely,

The Team at Tauck

Reservations
    10 Westport Rd, Wilton, CT
    Unsubscribe
    Tauck, Inc | 10 Westport Road | Wilton, CT
    Call 877-356-4552 or Your Travel Advisor to Book
    ©1998-2020, Tauck, Inc. All rights reserved.

We must have got the reference to the new policy by letter, because we were relieved to get it because by the middle of next year, we will have had four trips cancelled, that’s thousands of dollars in deposits and insurances. We have another three week tour booked in Septembe with another company, more likely to take place. There would not be time for us to do another desirable Tauck tours between then and the end of the year. Late October to December weather is not favorable for many Tauck itineraries as far as we are concerned.
    Mr B will know where the letter is.

• edited December 2020

Follow the link to the COVID-19 Update at the top of the Tauck home page. Scroll down to Travel Policy Updates For Our Guests
    and click on the "+" to expand, then click on the "+" to expand For travel scheduled for January 1, 2021 - March 31, 2021 or For travel scheduled for April 1, 2021 - June 30, 2021 and scroll down to the cancellation penalty tables. Just below the tables you will see:

"Dreamsaver funds are non-refundable and must be redeemed toward travel to be completed by 12/31/2022. Dreamsaver funds can be applied to any Tauck purchase."

You're welcome. :)

• Thanks Alan, I knew I had seen this!