Options

Empire of the Incas Peru and Bolivia

We just returned from a once in a lifetime experience in Peru and Bolivia. We absolutely loved our tour and especially our tour Director Tina Del Campo. Not only did Tina keep things organized and on schedule, she was adorable and funny, and I think she could be a stand up comedian in another job.
The sites we saw and the experiences we had because of Tauck we will never forget. Some people have asked about altitude sickness and now that I have experienced it, here is what I suggest. Most of the people on our tour started taking Diamox when we were in LIma. They all seemed to be fine by the time we arrived in Cuzco which was 11,000 feet. The only complaints I heard about Diamox was that it may have made some people a little tired.
I personally chose not to take it. I did start feeling nauseated and had difficulty breathing once we reached Cuzco. I took oxygen several times a day (as did many people in our group) and it helped, but I just did not feel normal until we came back down to 8,000 feet. Machu Picchu is only 8,000 feet and I had no trouble there. If I had it to do over, I would probably take the Diamox. I did drink plenty of Cocoa tea as everyone suggested and maybe it helped, but I just did not feel like myself once we were so high up.
I loved this trip. It was a real pleasure to travel with Tauck. This was our first trip with Tauck and I look forward to our next trip with them. There was a wonderful blend of hotels and modes of travel. We stayed in the loveliest of hotels, some modern, some more native to the areas and beautiful.
I can not say enough good things about this tour. We loved every moment of it! Thank you Tina & Tauck!
I am happy to answer any questions if someone is thinking about going on this trip. We returned June 6, 2012.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks so much for your report on the altitude aspects of this trip. This trip has a gold star on my bucket list and I'm working through it with vigour, but the altitude thing has always worried me ... given that I feel the difference at even mild altitudes. I'm sure your comments have reassured a lot of people. Off to stick another gold star on the Tauck South America brochure!

Cheers,

Jan
This discussion has been closed.