Options

Money

My travel agent suggested getting $150 in money for each of the 3 countries we will be in on the Scandanavian trip. She said to do this before we leave for the trip. What do you suggest?

Comments

• Options
    I have not traveled overseas for a few years, but when I did (and even going to Canada which I have done recently), I always started with a little of the currency of the country on me. I know that there are ATMs everywhere, but my feeling is that if I couldn't locate one when I needed cash, I, at least, had a little in my pocket if I wanted a snack or something. My recommendation would agree with the travel agent to have some local currency before you leave home. Other people might disagree, but I always felt more comfortable having the cash.
  • Options
    I haven't been on this trip, but I always get some cash. I'm not sure you need that much, though. I tried to get away without it on my last trip, but I finally gave in. There are always some shops that don't take credit cards, and cash is easier in restaurants.

I would recommend getting a little bit before you go so have some when you get there - maybe $50 worth? I used less than $100 cash on my last trip (2 weeks long).
  • Options
    I was in Denmark & Norway last year and was shocked at the cost of living there (much higher than France or Italy, for example). The amount you will need will vary depending on the number of days in each country but $50 per currency won't go very far. I think your travel agent's suggestion is better if you want a bit of pocket money for snacks, postcards, etc. You can use a credit card for more expensive purchases.
  • Options
    I think you might find there's a pretty good reason the standard of living in France and Italy is lower than in Scandinavia! The economy in the north is ... um ... more ... reliable than many European countries! I think your travel agent gave you good advice, Took. Jokes aside, costs have always been higher in Scandinavia and are probably more noticeable now as compared to the ravished economy in Italy and to a slightly lesser degree in France. I'm just grateful Italy can't sell off the whole of Florence to the highest bidder. I'm sure they would if they could!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    Dont think this is a good idea. To begin with, you will pay a bad surcharge to change the American currency. You will be better off, in my experience, by using the atm at your entry airport. This gives the best exchange rate. You can do the same as you go to other countries and/or change the local currency for the next country. This way, you are less liable to end with a pocket full of miscellaneous money you will just have to exchange - at a bad surcharge.
  • Options
    Dickhardy is correct that you will incur fees for the exchange of money but I would never enter a foreign country without a small amount ($100 or so depending on the country) of local currency in my pocket. You may need pocket money due to an emergency or not be able to get to an ATM for several days or your card may be rejected for any number of reasons. Exchanging $100 or so costs a few dollars in fees but I consider that a part of the trip budget (like travel insurance, etc.) and appreciate the peace of mind. You can certainly withdraw larger amounts of money at an ATM if you will be in a country for more than a day or two and are located near a machine and your card works. If you have small amounts of foreign currency remaining, you can sometimes use that for tips as appropriate (for example as part of your tour leader's tip if he/she visits those countries repeatedly and can use the local currency) or if paper money (not coins) you can exchange at your bank when you return. Again, a small fee will be assessed.
  • Options
    If you get the currency from your bank before you leave, they usually waive the fees if you have an account with them. Otherwise, as others have mentioned, the best rates I've found are by withdrawing directly from an ATM once you get to your destination (if you have a debit card/account that doesn't charge foreign exchange or transaction fees).

And just FYI - the $50 I mentioned previously wasn't meant to be for the whole trip, just emergency money until you get to an ATM at your destination. $100 would also be reasonable, I just personally find $150 to be high (even in Switzerland, which is also expensive, I didn't spend that much). If it means peace of mind for you, though, then by all means get the amount you're comfortable with.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention, I find a credit card with no foreign transaction fee to be the best exchange rate, so I try to use mine as much as possible. But some places don't take credit cards, and sometimes it's just easier to use cash.

Also, some checking accounts will waive ATM withdrawal fees from any ATM (even outside your bank network), which makes than an even more attractive option for cash.
  • Options
    We returned last week from the Scandinavia trip. My feeling is get your cash if you need it at an ATM in country. You get the best exchange rate. Make sure your debit card has a high limit since the cost of living is so much higher in these 3 countries. However I never got more than $150 per country and did just fine. Use your no foreign exchange fee credit card for purchases, everywhere we went they were accepted. Have fun and enjoy the cool weather.
This discussion has been closed.