Planning to book trip for Nov 2012

Contacted my TA today to inquire about the trip. She is going to provide info once the 2012 schedule is published by Tauck.
I would like to know if there are any nice to know pointers that are not covered in the website information. Either currency related, travel accessories to bring, nice to have along items, what not to do based on local customes?
I would also like to know if November travel presents any challenges either weather related or Cultural/ local customs that could impact schedules of shops, museums, points of interest.
Thank you
Tom

Comments

• Hi,

Things that I'm glad we did: (went on this tour this past May)

1) took Diamox for high altitude (just me, the hubby didn't so he got some headaches)
    2) bought a cheap water bottle holder at the first tour (once at the valley of the incas). You hang it across your shoulder, best $1-2 investment!! Ours says "Machu Pichu"
    3) drink the coca tea at the hotels you are staying (once you reach high altitude - valley of the incas is the first high altitude hotel) it really does help with the headaches.
    4) you'll need gloves/scarf If going in winter but you can get amazing alpaca gloves and scarf there (very low cost)
    5) if buying souvenirs to bring back home: suggestions that worked great for me....
    - alpaca gloves/scarfs ($3-5) US, But you must haggle, don't be shy at starting at half of asking price and you can move up from there. I usually bought more than one. If it helps, do it together with someone from the tour group so you can negotiate better deals.)
    - in Peru: great jewelry to buy is something with "turquesa peruana" type of stone only found in Peru.
    - in Bolivia: jewelry with semi-precious stone called "bolivianita" only found in Bolivia.
    6) try "pisco sour" drink.
    7) bring bug spray for Machu Pichu. The weather there is always warmer than the other cities you visit.
    8) tennis shoes is a must. You'll be doing walking on uneven surfaces (not always paved).

Peru and Bolivia were amazing to visit, specially with Tauck managing everything so you had nothing to worry. Our tour director Whitney was out of this world and amazing in every way. She took care of everything behind the scenes so our trip was smooth and worry-free for everyone. The first one to get up and the last one to go to sleep....always with a big smile. My husband and I will only consider Tauck tours from now on........I hope you do consider going with Tauck on this one.
This discussion has been closed.