Options

Sept weather

We are going on the September 1st trip. What kind of weather can we expect? Also, can my carry on be put in the bottom of the motor coach
with my regular suitcase so I can just keep my backpack with me?

Comments

• Options
    Im on the trip now we have had 4 days of partly cloudy skies temPs in the 60's
    We also had 4 days of light rain temps 50's
  • Options
    Karen lee wrote:
    We are going on the September 1st trip. What kind of weather can we expect? Also, can my carry on be put in the bottom of the motor coach
    with my regular suitcase so I can just keep my backpack with me?

For future travelers, this info may help... This is definitely a challenging trip to pack for, since you have to pack for cool weather, warm/hot weather, and rain. We had it all. I should have brought more warm-weather clothes as it got into the mid-60s several days. One day in Ketchikan was in the mid 70s on Sept. 12, and bright blue skies (no rain at all!).

One thing we learned is that Alaska weather is very unpredictable. And the weather reports are often wrong. It may start out very foggy and raining, then clear up a bit, then rain again. Rain may be predicted and you may not get any...and vice versa.

It's best to plan the day prepared for all types of weather, and peel off or add layers if needed.

You could put your carry on in the bottom of the coach each day, but it's not very convenient and you are best off having everything in the coach in the overhead bins. We were able to fit all we needed for day trips in our backpacks and my purse and small camera bag. Time at each stop can be rather limited, especially if you are seated in one of the rear seats (since it takes a while to empty the bus), and you won't want to wait for your bag to be retrieved by the coach driver from under the coach. (just my opinion)

Each day we repacked our backpacks based upon the day's activities and it worked well.
This discussion has been closed.