Portrait of India

Hi,

I would like tips from those who have done this trip to not get Delhi Belly. Any other tips from experience would be appreciated. We are going Dec 2 and really looking forward to this exciting trip.

Comments

• Hi Ruth,

I just came back from this tour 3 wks ago and I did get sick. About 6 of us got sick but the other 18 did not. I had to call on an Indian doctor to the hotel. He prescribed something stronger than what I had been taking and I was better within 3 days. The doctors come directly to the hotel which is very nice. We were very pleased with the medical help. I didn't get sick right away - most of us got it about 6 days into the tour but you can get it anytime. It is most likely a bacteria from the food that my system didn't like. I ate the same food as everyone in my group and was careful but it is sometimes an unavoidable nuisance of travel.
    Hope this helps!
    Mitzi
  • Hi Ruth,

When we took Tauck's Egypt/Jordan trip in 2009, almost everyone got sick. We didn't! We started taking probiotics with every meal about three weeks before. We continued it during the trip and I added something I heard on line that was suggested to the kids in the Peace Corps. It was to chew a pepto-bismol tablet after every meal. We did not drink anything but bottled water and brushed our teeth with it also. Don't open your mouth while you are showering and don't have drinks with ice unless you know the ice cubes are made with bottled water. We also did this on our Tauck Peru/Machu Picchu trip years ago. We are on Tauck's Portrait of India next March, so I would appreciate if you would report back on this board. Hardly anyone is posting here and all the old posts are lost in Cyber Space.

Thanks.
    Sheila
  • Ruth, My Wife and I are taking the Portrait of India Trip for 18 days Mrch 2, 2012. Is this the trip you are taking? Lou
  • Hi Ruth,
    I am on the Dec.2nd trip too. Traveling single from San Francisco area. This will be my first Tauck trip so I am looking forward to it! I am only doing the first 12 days, not the full 18. I'm planning on bringing pepto, immodium, cipro and malaria meds. Someone else on this board recommended pro-biotics, which I might take. I have been to Egypt & Tanzania in the past and didn't get sick there, but I did take Pepto occasionally as a precaution! I am assuming the weather in Dec. will be in the high 70's. Planning to pack light so I have plenty of room for shopping and gifts for my family!!
    See you in Delhi in about 4 weeks!
    Suzie Provo
  • edclkgm wrote:
    Ruth, My Wife and I are taking the Portrait of India Trip for 18 days Mrch 2, 2012. Is this the trip you are taking? Lou
  • My wife and I went on this trip from England last October, and yes some did get sick.
    The most important thing is to take the Tour Director's advice at the initial meeting - tell him as soon as you feel poorly - don't try to fight it with whatever Western drugs you have taken with you. They have doctors everywhere who come really quickly and give you stuff which kills the bugs fast. Do take plenty of rehydration salts just in case, although they are available freely on the trip.
    Rochard
This discussion has been closed.