vaccination

I am going on this trip starting feb 25th,2013.Does anybody,who has travelled before on this trip,has any advice on vaccinations?particularly Yellow Fever,as this seems to be the visa requirement for traveling between cambodia ,Vietnam and Thailand?Also need some info and help arranging one day Ha Long Bay trip from Hanoi

Comments

• We did this trip last January/February. We have Kaiser and the recommended vaccinations were for the usual(tetanus, stc.) and hepatitis. Nothing was mentioned about yellow fever. We arranged a three day two night cruise on Halong Bay prior to the start of our tour. We went on the Ginger cruise lines on the Halong Jasmine. It was fabulous. I believe we are asked not to post specific names, etc on this site, but if you want to email me separately, I will give you the name of the contact and cruise company email address. I was so pleased with this salesperson as we missed our plane and she went above and beyond making sure we were picked up at the new time and a tender was waiting to take us to the ship that had already sailed. The office was closed because it was New Year, but she made sure we were taken care of. Very impressive! I recommend the two night cruise as you are able to transfer to a smaller ship for the second day and go into Cat Ba Park where you can bike to a remote village and kayak (if you wish). This little cruise was one of the highlights of our trip (although, there were many...it's a great trip!).
    Joyce
    Joyce_sw@att.net
  • Hi
    We are going on the 28th of Jan. Haven't seen anything on Yellow Fever when departing from the US. Also, we are dealing with the concierge at the Metrpole in Hanoi to arrange a one day excursion to HA Long Bay including 4 hour cruise. Price depends on number of people and itinerary on boat (caves vs kayak)
    LTJGGJC
  • We went to our local health dept. For $50 per person, they will advise you what is needed, administer shots and write precriptions. Very convenient. Yellow fever vaccine is required for Singapore(our first stop) and either Cambodia or Thailand.) This was put out recently on the CDC web site. Maleria pills are very important. Malarone is the suggested type as the others have possible bad side effects (bad dreams are common). You begin taking them the day prior to entering the area and continue for seven days after leaving. Hepititus A &B, tetanus boosters, up dates on Measles, mumps if born after 1957, i believe. Typhoid meds were strongly suggested. Some of the meds are oral and some are vaccinations. Start early, esp. since the Hepatitus A&B require 3 shots. We will have had two prior to leaving and one six months after our return. Hope that this is helpful. My wife and i are travelling on the Nov. 30 departure and had trouble getting information on this topic.
  • Thanks everybody for the info.I did check CDC web site and as far as I can tell Yellow fever vaccination is not required for travel to Vietnam,Cambodia and Thailand.Perhaps Tauck tour director for this trip can address the issue of whether Yellow fever vaccination is required as a visa requirement for travel in between the 3 countries?I have looked into one trip to Ha Long bay and the concierge at the Metropole is very helpful.Cost of the day trip varies depending upon the number of guests and it is approximately 100 dollars if you have 4 or more in your party.Tour leaves at 8 am in the morning and returns at 7 pm.Price includes private travel van,english language guide,lunch on board a private boat.Cruise on Ha long bay is about 4 hours
  • Took the trip Nov. 2 of this year. No yellow fever or malaria necessary. Enjoy the trip!
This discussion has been closed.