Best time to travel

My husband & I are hoping to visit China in 2013. Since we're retired our timing is flexible. We were wondering if there were any advantages / disadvantages of traveling in the spring vs the fall...or eastbound vs westbound. We know Tauck will do a great job no matter which we choose, but if anyone has any time / direction guidance that would help our planning, we would appreciate it. Thanks.

Comments

• My wife and I took this tour in September, 2012. In my opinion, the eastbound option is preferable for a couple of reasons. First, given the anticipation of visiting a foreign culture with a vast history, the most prominent tourist and/or archeological sites are near the beginning of the trip. (Great Wall, Forbidden City, and Terra Cotta Warriors) Some of these days can be long and fairly strenuous, so it is preferable to enjoy them when your energy level is at its best. Because this is a long tour, most of our fellow travelers agreed that it would have been more difficult to navigate the Beijing itinerary after already being in China for two weeks. Secondly, the eastbound tour spends three days on the Yangtze River cruise, as opposed to four. This is because the riverboat is sailing with the current. You do not need an additional day on the river.
    I cannot speak for the Spring, but this September was very warm - definitely shorts weather. If you decide on the fall, try to avoid the departure dates that encompass October 1st, which is Chinese National Day. This is a holiday throughout the country, and there can be over a million people in Tian'an Men Square alone. No matter when you decide to go, it is the experience of a lifetime. There is a surprise everyday, and you'll walk away with a new perspective on a country and culture that have changed radically in a very short period of time.
  • Actually speaking, spring and autumn are the best seasons for you to tour around China.
    when you arrive in China, you are high recommended to visit Beijing, Shanghai, Xian and Guilin, all of which will impress you couple a lot.
    Good luck to your China travel.
  • I heard summer and spring is the best and nice season for you to visit China. I will suggest you to explore Beijing, Guilin, Shanghai and Hangzhou.
    For a retired couple, those cities might will be suitable destination.
    It will make you both know better about history and culture of China as well as can enjoy stunning view and feel romantic atmosphere in Guilin or Hangzhou. Hope the best for you China trip!
This discussion has been closed.