Luggage limits for Grand Australia and New Zealand trip

Can Tauck answer definitely about the luggage limits for the Grand Australia and NZ trip? I understand the 50# per bag limit but am uncertain about the ability to bring a carryon, even if it has to be checked if over 15#. Is this okay? The small soft carryon for the bus trips is understood...but I am confused from other posts about whether we can take more than one suitcase. Can you clarify? Looking forward to the January 14th trip! Nancy

Comments

• Hi Nancy,

I hope this helps. Every airline has different weight and luggage restrictions. This tour has strict policies on luggage due to the size of airplanes we use on tour.

As you already know carry-on luggage may not weigh more than 15 pounds, and the maximum dimensions are 20" x 15" x 10" (including all wheels, handles, etc). If these dimensions are exceeded, the carry-on may be checked at the gate.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • I went on this trip in Nov 2012. no one had a problem with the carryon that you are able to carry on any plane in the US. Very few had to be checked at the gate.
  • edited January 2013
    Crackers 54, I'm so glad you just were on this trip. Perhaps you can answer a question...did the hotels provide hair dryers? Also, did you ever find a US plug in any of the hotels? I know that often in many countries, we find a 110 plug hidden away under a desk or on a wall...was just wondering. We have the adapters so we are ready. Any other thoughts or "wish I'd known" from your trip? We are so excited to be leaving this week for this trip. Thank you, Nancy
  • Yes all had hair dryers but one I did not find. Was told later it was in a drawer in the bathroom that was hard to see. Most had plugs to use for recharge as long as you had 120v/220 on them. Most modern electronics have that and only nd adaptor not a converter.
  • Nancy,
    We were on this trip Oct/Nov 2012. Carry on was no problem as long as not exceeded size limits, although in NZ because the charter plane is smaller, they may load a larger carry on with the luggage but the Tour Director will tell you that and you can pull out a smaller bag for whatever you need for the flight--none longer than 1 1/2 hours.

As for the Qantas flights, a few of our fellow travelers had packed a lot and as they purchased items along the way and repacked, their luggage became heavier. At check in, they did weigh check in bags and a few had to repack right then and there to reduce the weight--just a warning.

We always travel light; there is opportunity to send wash out in Sydney for cheap, and you will need less clothing than you think! Just pack something wind/rain proof for your top layer; bring a few items you can layer, and remember you will be going in their summer. NZ is cooler but we still had wonderfully warm weather in TeAnau.

As for converters, all you need is an adaptor and all hotels had hairdryers. I didn't pack shampoo or conditioner because my husband needed the space for his fragrance-free items. All of the hotels had these items in the rooms and when I found one I really liked, I took it along with me.

Wonderful trip, enjoy!!!
  • Okay, I understand about the carry-on limits and dimensions, but what exactly are the maximum dimensions for the check on piece of luggage? According to the Australia/New Zealand travel documents, the maximum dimensions is 54" and 50 lbs. Why is that smaller than the maximum dimensions of 62" for our China trip we're taking following the one to Australia/New Zealand?
  • edited August 2013
    nanawhite, The Qantas website shows that the maximum luggage size on domestic services is 140cm or 54 inches. Depending on what class you fly you may not exceed 23kgs (50lbs) in economy and 32kgs (70lb) in Business Class. Carry-on luggage is seldom weighed unless you have a monster of a carry-on that looks like a small suitcase but the recommended weight is 7kgs (15 lbs). I've seen one of those get through and a man almost got a hernia when lifting it up to an overhead bin for a lady passenger. Yes it was that heavy.

Don't over pack and have lots of room for all of those Aussie gifts you'll buy for family and friends back home.

Rod
This discussion has been closed.