Options

Bird Flu in China

I am going on the April 25th Eastbound China, Yangtze, and Hong Kong Tour. I am looking forward to the experience. However, the bird flu reports have made me wonder if Tauk has made any itinerary changes or if those of us on the tour need to do anything different before our trip. Does anyone have any information?

Comments

• Options
    Hello sucha,

As reported in the media, China reported more cases of human infection of the H7N9 bird flu virus on Monday, raising the total number of cases to 60 (out of a total population in China of 1.3 billion people). The virus also appears to have spread beyond eastern China for the first time. The virus has been detected in live poultry in several food markets where human cases have been found, leading officials to suspect that people are most likely contracting the virus through direct contact with infected fowl. The Chinese government is actively investigating this event and has heightened disease surveillance. World Health Organization, WHO, is in contact with national authorities and is following the event closely.

The U.S. State Department has not issued any Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts or Advisories at this time suggesting that people forgo travel to China. Furthermore, the WHO (World Health Organization) does not advise any special screening at points of entry with regard to this event, nor does it recommend that any travel or to China be avoided.

We are currently operating as scheduled as we continue to monitor media reports, and any relevant announcements from the CDC and WHO. We are also in continued contact with our supplier(s), Tauck Director(s) and will provide any updates if there is any other news/changes.

The safety and security of our guests, and employees is our utmost priority.

Hope this helps,
    Emily

This discussion has been closed.