snorkeling in the gallapagos

My husband and I love to snorkel and have our own mask and snorkel that we are planning to bring on this trip. We have had friends ask us if we were crazy to do it as certainly if there are seals, there must be sharks. I know Tauck would never put us in harm's way. Is there something unique to the Gallapagos that there aren't any predator dangers?

Comments

• ]My husband and I love to snorkel and have our own mask and snorkel that we are planning to bring on this trip. We have had friends ask us if we were crazy to do it as certainly if there are seals, there must be sharks. I know Tauck would never put us in harm's way. Is there something unique to the Gallapagos that there aren't any predator dangers

We did a trip to the Galapagos a few years ago, albeit not with Tauck. Snorkeling is totally safe. When you are in the water at selected sites there is always someone closeby watching you from a zodiac. There are galapagos sharks and hammerhead sharks in the vicinity, but we were told that these are not interested in you at all. Sea lions and turtles etc. are so used to humans that there is no harm from them. Get in the water, have a wonderful time and bring back memories that will last a lifetime. WE did.
  • We recently returned from this wonderful trip. We thought the snorkeling equipment on the ship worked just fine and were glad to have the short wet suits that were provided since the water was cool. We did in fact see a shark - a white-tipped reef shark but he wasn't as interested in us as we were in him. You are always accompanied by a naturalist/park ranger and there's nothing to worry about.
  • Thanks! We'll look forward to the snorkeling. I heard they will take photos of you in the water (perhaps even an underwater camera???) and you can buy a disc of pictures. Is that right?
  • There was no charge for the disc of pictures.
This discussion has been closed.