Options

electricity converters

Is it still necessary to get electric converters (for blow dryer, phone charger,...) for plugs in Italy?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Carrie, and welcome to the Travel Forums!

The electrical current in Italy is 230 V and 50 Hz. Here in the United States, we use 120 V and 60 Hz. They also use different types of plugs, so you will need to pick up an adapter to be able to plug them in in the first place. Also, be aware that most modern laptop, cell phone, and digital camera chargers are dual voltage, and will work perfectly in Europe with just a plug adapter. You should check the manuals for whatever items you want to bring for more information.

(Also, note that all hotels on this tour have hair dryers in the rooms already, available for your use. Also, make sure your cell phone, in particular, works in Europe; some American service providers do not.)

Hope this helps!

Best,
    Tim
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I just needed an adapter and not a converter. I used my adapter for primarily charging my iTouch and Kindle. There really is no need for a hair dryer as all three hotels provide full size (and powerful) ones, unlike those we find in hotels in the US.
  • Options
    Will I be able to use the same adaptor I used in France while in Venice, Florence and Rome?
  • Options
    As long as it is a standard European converter (2 round prongs) it should be fine.
  • Options
    I heard that France uses the "Schucko" type, which has thicker prongs, and they are too wide to fit into Italian outlets. I cannot detect any writing on mine to see if they are identified as that type. Anyone have any ideas?
This discussion has been closed.