Altamira Caves

My husband and I will be on the tour starting August 23, 2013. Does the tour stop at the famous Altamira Caves and replica cave? It is very near Santillana del Mar which is on the tour route. It is an amazing example of prehistoric art anywhere and we would hate to miss it. If not on the tour, is it possible to make a side tour on our own somehow?

Getting close now and our excitement is growing. Thank you. joyuex

Comments

• edited May 2013
    We did this tour in October 2012. No, we did not stop at the Altamira Caves. I believe they are now closed to the public due to concerns about damage from too many visitors. We did stop in Santillana del Mar for lunch at a lovely parador and then moved on to Fuente De for the night.
  • The actual cave is closed except to researchers and conservationists. However, there is a museum and replica cave at the site which, according to the website, is open for visitors. I have read that the replica, or "neocave", is a very authentic re-creation of the original cave and said to be very close to the original experience. It is located in the village of Santillana del Mar. A guided tour of the replica cave is only 30 minutes. I think it would be a very worthwhile experience and we would regret having missed it when we are actually in the same village.

TAUCK TOURS: Do you monitor this site? Is it possible to make a side trip? Thank you
This discussion has been closed.