Rhine & Moselle - High water levels?

The water levels on the Danube and parts of the Rhine are currently at high levels. I understand Avalon has just cancelled some of their river trips. We're booked on the June 6th Rhine & Moselle from Basel and this has me somewhat concerned. Has anyone heard anything further on this?

Comments

• Why not call Tauck's Customer Service on Monday early a.m. or have your TA do so? That's what I did last year when the Danube was dry near Bucharest.

Sheila
  • I would not even wait until Monday morning. Do they not have anyone answering the phones on the weekend. Especially in this type of situation? I posted something about this the other day on the General forum and someone answered that they were bussed on their last part of the Danube because of high water last year. right now things are pretty bad.
    Here is a link to the problem. Sorry it is in German.
    http://www.bild.de/news/inland/wetter/hochwasser-alarm-in-deutschland-30648302.bild.html

Terri
  • They are there on Sunday. Call today and you should get an answer.

Sue
  • The situation over there is quite critical. You should really try to find out what Tauck is doing prior to getting on a plane and getting there. The last I read is that all river traffic is halted on the Rhine and Danube and Nekker. Passau is flooded waist high. The road and railroad from Munich to Salzburg is shut down due to landslides.
    Reuters is reporting that the area has gotten two months worth of rain in just a few days. The ground is saturated and cannot take any more.
    Good luck to you and safe travels.
    We leave on July 6 and embark on the MS Treasures in Budapest on July 14. Sure hope the situation improves by that time.
    Terri
  • For those traveling down the Rhine (or Rhein as they spell it), here's a page that shows water levels at various points along the river. The 3 columns in the middle are the most useful - the blue bar extending either side of the black bar indicates high water (when extending to the right) and low water (when extending to the left). The next two columns are mittel/average and aktuell/current levels. They are measured in centimeters, so you'll need to dig out that old slide rule and divide the numbers in the columns by about 30.5 to get the measurements in feet. The tendenz/tendency shows red-up-arrows if the water is rising and green-down-arrows if the water level is falling. (I couldn't locate flood level indicators - sorry.)

The draft on most of the Tauck boats is 4 about feet deep, so if the current levels are under 4 feet, we've got a problem. (At the moment of writing this post, the lowest part of the river was 6 feet deep and the deepest was about 17 feet.

http://www.wetteronline.de/?gid=NRW&pcid=pc_pegel_data&sid=River&iid=Rhein

hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.