Options

Zurich/Vienna Restaurant Search, Alpine Interlude Trip in September

Anyone going on the Alpine Interlude Trip on September 18. Looking for some good best restaurants in Zurich and Vienna before and after the trip.

Thanks,

Bill

Comments

• Options
    We were on Alpine Interlude last summer - our fifth Tauck tour - and were very pleased with every aspect of the trip. In my opinion, four of the six hotels were outstanding. The scenery is beyond belief, and the cog train to the Jungfrau summit in Interlaken is nothing short of spectacular. Pray for a sunny day! Now for your questions about restaurants. Zurich is a very expensive city, and the exchange rate has only gotten worse in the past twelve months. For our pre-tour dinner, we ate at Brasserie Lipp (Uraniastrasse 9), located at the intersection of the main pedestrian street, Bahnhofstrasse, and Uraniastrasse. It is within easy walking distance of the hotel. It has a fairly elegant decor - white tablecloths and crystal - but most customers were dressed in nicer casual attire. The restaurant's specialty is seafood, and the food was very good.

We spent two extra days in Vienna. I can recommend the restaurant at the concert hall in the Stadt Park - Kursalon (Johannesgasse 33) - which is a very short walk from the Hotel Imperial. If you like, you can combine dinner with a concert of Mozart and Strauss favorites which is held nightly in the same building. Secondly, we ate at Purstner which is located at Riemergasse 10. It is about half way between St. Stephen's Cathedral and the city park. It is a very casual restaurant specializing in native Austrian cuisine. There is indoor and outdoor dining, and it is popular with locals and tourists alike. Finally, we ate our last dinner at Huth, located at Schellingasse 5 - also within easy walking distance of the Imperial. There are two Huth restaurants directly across the street from each other. The nicer of the two is on the side closest to the park. It is a family owned restaurant with a large local following. Our dinner was delicious. The concierge at the Imperial can help with reservations and directions. One last thing, don't miss afternoon coffee and cake with the locals in one of the city's amazing cafes. Cafe Demel is an institution for good reason. Hope this information helps.

• Options
    I'm going on the June 24th trip. Getting into Zurich a day early and was going through the book looking for a place to have dinner and yes it is all very expensive. I think we are going to do Kronenhalle for dinner in Zurich. Hey, with how much we have already spent on this trip, we're going to scrimp on dinner?
  • Options
    We, too, ate at Brasserie Lipp in Zurich. The maitre d' asked whether we had reservations, which we did not have, and then told us that they would not be able to seat us until 8:15 -- which was about 1 1/2 hours later than we arrived. We said "thanks but no thanks" and then he said he'd "take a chance" on seating us immediately. I enjoyed my meal, but my husband didn't and didn't like the experience. We both enjoyed eating at the Zunfthaus zur Zimmerleuten the next night. It is one of the "Fodor's Choice" restaurants. (I've had good luck with Fodor's recommendations.) We went early, without reservations, and were the only people in the restaurant when we arrived. It's a longer walk from the hotel, but not bad. It's on the other side of the river. Address is Marktgasse 20, Kreis 1.
This discussion has been closed.