Options

July 31st Classic Italy Tour

My husband and I will be taking the July 31st tour. We will be arriving in Sorrento 2 days earlier.
We would like to take a day trip to Capri. My travel agent told us their is no need to set up an actual tour. We can just do this on our own. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, do you need to bring an adaptor? Would love to connect with anyone taking this tour. Lynne and Jim. New York

Comments

• Options
    Rick Steves recommends:

buy jet boat ticket at 8AM boat leaves at 8:25 and arrives at 8:45--go directly to the Blue Grotto, then catch a bus from the grotto to Anacapri and ride the chairlift to Monte Solaro. From the summit, return by chairlift (or hike down). Stroll out from the base of the chairlift to Villa San Michele for the view, then catch a bus to Capri town for the rest of your stay. At the end of the day, ride the funicular down to Marina Grande (kill time lazing on the free beach or wandering the yacht harbor) to catch the boat back to Sorrento.

(Check times for return when you get there) But July he recommends getting a round trip ticket for a late boat ticket for return to make sure there is room and says can use on earlier boat if you are back early.

Day trippers from Rome usually arrive between 10-11 and leave around 5, so I guess can be very busy around those times. If you're heading specifically to see Blue Grotto, be sure to check that the tide isn't too high or water too rough ask at your hotel.

This sounds good--Boat Trips Around the Island: Laser Capri-runs quick trips around the island, passing stunning cliffs, aes, and views that most miss when they go only to the Grotto. Their tiny ticket window faces dock #23 at Marina Grande, they offer 3 options one is circle the island with a grotto stope (2 hours, 16 euro), he says it is worth the 3 extra euros.

Hope this helps. I picked up his travel book at the library.
  • Options
    Thanks. This definitely helps. I am going to get Rick Steves book.
This discussion has been closed.