A Weather Question

We are booked for the Sept. 19th tour. I notice that there is a wide discrepancy between the daytime and evening temperatures, especially at the higher altitudes. We live in Florida and are more sensitive to cold than others are, but we also like to pack light. Will layering be warm enough for the evening and early morning activities or will we be better off to bring a heavier jacket? Thank you in advance for your answers.

Bev

Comments

• Hi Bev,

I did this trip at the very same time last year. I think the layering thing will work a long as you have some sort of light jacket, that will break the wind ... even nylon, and that you can fit a few layers underneath. Because I left home in our winter, I had a pair of unlined leather gloves. Along with a silk scarf I kept my hands & neck warm for the dawn viewing. I also packed a light wooly hat ... I have tender little ears! ;) As the day progresses, so you shed some layers. I started out with a fine woollen, short-sleeved top, then a long sleeved cardigan and if I was really cold, a sleeveless zip-up vest on top. By lunch I was usually down to the first top, and in the evening I'd carry the cardigan or a light pashmina type shawl. By the time you get to Vegas ... well, you can guess. You are searching for the lightest thing you have!

It's a fabulous trip. Have a wonderful time. Oh, and don't forget to think about whether you might need to consider altitude medication. It's a very individual thing. Just a suggestion!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Thank you Jan. We are looking forward to this trip. We often visit our son's family in Colorado. so we have experience with altitude. Miami, where we live is at 0 ft. altitude and everything is flat. Our family lives at 5,000 ft. and we don't have any trouble. When we go with them to the Rocky Mt. National park, we reach 8-10,000 ft., but that is after we have become acclimated to 5,000. One trick that we have learned is to walk very slowly from the car (bus or plane) until we see how we feel. We are going a day early to Red Cliff Lodge, so we will have 4 days at that altitude before going higher.

We have been to the Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion before (in the summer, when it was hot), but not to the other parks, so we know that we will enjoy this trip.

Thanks again.

Bev
  • No worries, Bev. The pills worked a treat for me, since I don't have your advantage of regular visits to high altitude. But sadly, the miracle pills didn't make me any fitter! :)))

I forgot to mention the advantage of travelling in September. The Aspens in autumn are just lovely. You get your first hint flying in to Denver! You'll enjoy your time at Red Cliffs. The setting is stunning. And don't forgrt to see the movie museum downstairs in the main lodge. Very interesting.

Cheers,

Jan
This discussion has been closed.