Options

Luggage quandry?

My question is in regard to checked in luggage not carry-on. The weight for Australia/New Zealand is 50 pounds, I know that, however the dimensions listed in the official documents seem very small to me. It says the maximum sum of length +width + depth is 54 inches. Did anyone encounter an airline that actually measured the suitcase as well as weigh it? We are also going to China and their weight is only 44 pounds, but their size can add up to 62 inches. Is it a typo in the official documents for 54 inches? Again did anyone actually have their checked in luggage measured?

Comments

• Options
    nanawhite, I posted this in the other thread ...

nanawhite, The Qantas website shows that the maximum luggage size on domestic services is 140cm or 54 inches. Depending on what class you fly you may not exceed 23kgs (50lbs) in economy and 32kgs (70lb) in Business Class. Carry-on luggage is seldom weighed unless you have a monster of a carry-on that looks like a small suitcase but the recommended weight is 7kgs (15 lbs). I've seen one of those get through and a man almost got a hernia when lifting it up to an overhead bin for a lady passenger. Yes it was that heavy.

Don't over pack and have lots of room for all of those Aussie gifts you'll buy for family and friends back home.

Rod

P.S. I should have added that unless you're trying to have a massive large case checked in Qantas will just look at the weight. Keep the weight in limits and I'm sure you'll have a trouble free trip in Australia.
  • Options
    There is a great laundry the TD will tell you about in Sydney that you can drop off in the morning and pick up that night. Also, washer/dryer in several hotels. Don't over pack. I washed out shirts and underwear and dropped off at the laundry and washed a load in Queenstown in New Zealand.
  • Options
    Luggage Question: Grand Australia/NZ October 17, 2013 Tour planned.
    We are traveling internationally via Qantas from the States - and the website says 62inch max for checked baggage.
    However, I am still confused re: size limit for checked bags on the "internal flights" arranged by Tauck.
    What is the absolute SIZE for the checked bags on internal flights? Appreciate any help on this. Thank you.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    We had no problem with a quality constructed light weight hardside/softside 30x19x11. Remember your luggage is going to be handled at least 55 times so keep the weight within guidelines. We also both had international size carry-ons which worked perfectly, although they both went in with the luggage on the New Zealand charter flights.
This discussion has been closed.