September 5th trip/type of clothing recommended

We are on the September 5th trip and are trying hard to limit our luggage to carryon bags. Since we are traveling in early September we are planning on bringing lighter clothes with some layering options. Advice from anyone who has been in this region in early-mid September would be welcome. Also curious about appropriate evening attire for this tour.

Comments

• We were on the July 4-15th tour. The weather was great most of the trip but got pretty warm while in Salzburg. Your layering thoughts are right on. Except at the highest elevations of the Zugspitze, Eagle's Nest and Grossglockner sweaters/light jackets should be fine. Zugspitze and Eagle's Nest could be pretty cool especially of the wind blows. Carry-on is a good idea. Our bags didn't make the flight into Munich due to delays. Counting the flight time we had three days in the same clothes. They finally were delivered to our hotel in Seefeld at 10:30 the first evening there. No one knew us the next morning! The first evening's welcome reception and dinner in Munich was the dressiest but not semi-formal or formal. There were a couple of other evenings where recommended dress was smart casual to dressy...think special evening out or attending a wedding and you'll be fine.
  • Thank you Wundernkc. This is very helpful and reaffirms our intent to go strictly with carry-ons. We will be arriving in Munich a couple of days early and want to visit Ludwig's other castle, Chiemsee. It is not on the Tauck itinerary but we wanted to make sure Tauck doesn't include that on the transit day to Salzburg. Also, did they include any of the Beergardens while in Munich? We plan to visit a couple prior to the start of our tour and it would be helpful to know if any are included by Tauck. Finally, while in Salzburg, we are on our own for two lunches and one dinner. Do you have any restaurant suggestions? We are looking for fun atmospheric places, preferably with outdoor seating, rather than formal dining places. Thank you in advance.
  • We have been successful traveling with one carry-on bag. On one occasion, I got to the airplane entrance and they told me there was no more room for carry-on luggage so it was put with the regular luggage. Had it somehow been lost, all my medications would also have been lost and I would have been in big trouble. My suggestion is to carry medications or valuables in a small carry-on purse or bag to make sure you have everything important except for your clothing. Also, airlines have different specifications as to allowable carry-on baggage size. You actually have to fit your luggage into their metal sizing container. If it doesn't fit it is put in regular baggage. Also, watch out that your primary carrier (who may have larger carry-on sizes) doesn't contract another airline for your flight which has smaller allowances.
This discussion has been closed.