altitude sickness

My husband and I are considering this trip for next year (May or June). All the literature suggests the possibility of altitude sickness. I know the itinerary is designed to minimize the risks of this (gradual ascents, for example), but I am interested to hear about the experiences of people who have taken the trip. Were many people sick? What were the symptoms? What's the treatment? How long were they ill and did it prevent them from enjoying the trip?

Comments

• Hi,

My husband and I took this trip in May 2011. From our experience, to answer your questions:

1) altitude sickness: I am very sensitive to it, so I took diamox (prescription from my doctor) every day, starting 2 days before heading to Casa Andina at the valley of the Incas (from Lima). I was perfectly fine but others in the group experienced some headaches and shortness of breath when we got to Casa Andina and definitely at least 50% of the group had some headaches by the time we got to Puno. But the hotels offer complimentary coca tea and that really helps (not inLima but as soon as you get to the higher altitude hotels)
    - warning: talk to your doctor for Diamox, but one key side effect that I had of taking this medication is tingling on your fingers and face So it's not for everyone, but for me it was better than feeling sick. oh and one more, I think I beat the record of using the bathroom the most in our tour group...(this medication makes you pee a lot...can I say that on this forum?? Well, I just did. But seriously, talk to your doctor and understand the side effects.
    - the food is amazing but as soon as you hit the Valley of the Incas, you won't be able to eat much because of the high altitude. But you'll be fine in Lima, so eat a lot there!
    - another thing about high altitude: it's difficult to fall asleep at night
    - we had a great time and the weather in May was perfect. I had my doubts about this trip because of altitude sickness but taking diamox and dealing with the tingle on finger and face was really worth it. I am so happy to have taken this trip and would do it again in a heart beat.

2) not related to what you asked but I was looking for an answer before I took this trip. Computers and high altitude.....we took our laptop and it was perfectly fine all the way to Bolivia.

I hope you consider this trip. An amazing trip and tauck is the best....
  • VM, thank you so much for all the info. on this thread and others. I just booked the May 25, 2012 trip and I'll keep all your great suggestions in mind.
  • I don't know how much help this will be, since I have never been to that neck of the woods. But, having lived in Colorado for some time and doing a lot of off-roading and rock crawling in the mountains there, I'll give it a shot.

First, for every 1,000 ft. you increase in altitude there is a corresponding loss of 3% oxygen. So, if you live on the east coast and rarely get above 1,000 ft., then go up to 14,000 ft., there will be a loss of 39% of the oxygen your body is used to. That said, you probably need to A. increase your oxygen capacity with exercise. A treadmill that changes the grade you are walking or running on will help. You need to do this several weeks before your trip. B. Spend the first couple of days hanging around your hotel room and going on short, easy walks. Since you paid so much for your trip, this probably wouldn't be the alternative I would want to use.

Second, I know that in Colorado we suggest people drink a lot of water before they get there. I've been told this helps with altitude sickness, but honesty, I think it help with headaches from dehydration. Humidity in Colorado is very low, which means when you sweat it evaporates quickly and you don't know you are getting dehydrated until it is too late. However, that said, It wouldn't hurt to make sure you are hydrated before you arrive and stay that way. That means water, and not just the little you mix with your whiskey. I hate to put a damper on your trip parties.

I heard somewhere, that there is some sort of cocoa that is used in Latin America to help with dehydration....you might want to google that one. I think the humidity in the Andes is pretty high, so the Colorado plan may not apply.

Remember, most of the Team USA sports train in Colorado because of the decreased oxygen in the blood and they can build up their red blood cell count to carry more oxygen when they are competing.

Have a great trip and I hope this isn't a problem for you.
  • Thanks to all who have replied. My husband and I have booked the 5/25/12 trip so I guess one of you will be on our tour! These forums are great. I'll be sure to ask my physician for a prescription, and I'll definitely take bug spray!
This discussion has been closed.