Options

Milan... An interesting city indeed...

Personally I have never visited Milan, but once I was hired by a travel company to write an article about it, and doing my research in order to compose the article, I got really passionate about this city. It has a lot of museums, shops and attractions, and getting there seems pretty easy. To make sure you understand what I mean , you can take a look at my article below:

Milan is one of Italy's most trendy places and one of the richest cities in Europe. However, it also has a lot of historical importance, not to mention all the artistic attractions located in this city: the largest Gothic cathedral in the world, the Last Supper painting, and the famous La Scala Opera House.

When going to Milan, be expecting to see a glamorous city where life is literally “boiling”, with a thriving cultural scene and an excellent selection of boutiques for shopping. And now, once you have been informed of all this information about milan, don't you have curiosity to visit it? Or at-least to know more? If you do, like I did when I first got to know about this fabulous city, the continue reading!

Where is Milan?

Milan is in northwest Italy in the Lombardy region, about 30 miles south of the Alps. It is very near the Lake district, including Lakes Como and Maggiore.

How to get to Milan?

From Rome, Milan is reachable on a fast train in 3 1/2 to 4 hours. From Venice, the train takes 3 to 4 hours. However, the use of trains might not be needed if you are traveling to Milan from a city located far from it, or if you live in another country and wish to see the best cities of Italy. Milan-Malpensa airport is located just 35km from Milan, making it a destination very easy to reach.
The Malpensa Express train connects the airport to Cadorna Station near Milan's historic center. Milan has also a smaller airport located to the east, Linate. This airport serves flights from Europe and within Italy and is connected to Milan by bus service.
The main train station, Milano Centrale at Piazza Duca d' Aosta, links to major cities in Italy and western Europe. Domestic and international bus lines arrive in Piazza Castello.

Milan Tourist Information Offices:

The main office is in Piazza del Duomo at Via Marconi 1. There is also a branch in the Central train station. The Milan City Council operates an information office in Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, near the Piazza del Duomo, with information about cultural events.
Milan Weather - When to Go to Milan:
The city can be very hot and humid in summer but during all other seasons of the year, the stay in this city is very comfortable. So, if you are looking to go to Milan, you can do so at almost any month, but be sure not to visit it in Summer if you don't want to get roasted.

Milan Attractions:
  • Milan has a small historic center, mainly between the Duomo and Castello. This is the main site I recommend you to visit.
    The Duomo is the world's largest Gothic cathedral and the third largest church in Europe. The construction of it began in 1386 and lasted almost 500 years! Its marble facade is magnificent and its roof has 135 spires and 3200 statues. Inside, the crucifix is said to contain a nail from the famous cross of Christ. Its piazza is the hub of Milan. There is also a museum. Be sure to climb the stairs or take the elevator (if you are lazy like me) to the top for views of Milan and the Duomo's spires. See pictures from the duomo rooftop.
  • Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II is a huge shopping center with a glass roof that is full of elite shops, bars, and restaurants. Built in 1867, it links the squares of the Duomo and La Scala and has mosaics with the symbols of the cities forming the newly united Italy.
    Santa Maria della Grazie contains Da Vinci's famous fresco, the Last Supper. Although the building was bombed in 1943, the fresco survived. To visit, it is necessary to book in advance, however.
  • National Museum of Science and Technology Leonardo da Vinci is housed in what was once a 16th century monastery . The museum has a vast collection showing the history of science and technology starting from Leonardo da Vinci's machines.
  • La Scala is a very famous opera house with space for over 2000 people. Built in 1778 it has a very interesting interior. You can also visit the museum located in this building.
  • Pinacoteca di Brera, originally started by Napoleon, is Milan's most prestigious art gallery. It holds a huge collection of over 600 works in 40 rooms.
  • Finally, if you love trips to the nature, do not ignore the chance to travel to such places as Lakes, Pavia, and the hill town of Bergamo. They are just excellent to breathe some fresh air and relax from the conventional city life.

What do you think? The city looks very interesting! Like I said, I have never visited it before, but writing about it has really intrigued me. I think I will be visiting it next summer, for sure!
This discussion has been closed.