Credit Card with embeded chip - Northern Italy

Going on the Northern Italy tour in a few weeks. I understand Europe has largely converted to credit cards with embeded chips, while US has not. Will this be a problem at shops/atms?

Comments

• I did not have a problem in Italy last year but did in Copenhagen a couple of years ago.

Your credit card company should be able to send you a chip and pin card. I requested one from Citibank and they sent it. I haven't used it in Europe yet but I have it if needed. It is the same card number I had and still has the strip for use here and I have been using it regularly in the US. Better to have it just in case.

Have a great trip. You are going to my favorite country!

Sue
  • Be sure to carry the card in a RFID-blocking sleeve (or aluminum foil in a pinch). These cards are more vulnerable to theft, since the thief doesn't need to touch you or the card in order to make a duplicate.
  • Nick,

Where can I get an RFID-blocking sleeve?

Sue

• The chip in a chip-and-pin or chip-and-signature is not an RFID chip. The credit card could also have an RFID chip, but I can't think of any off the top of my head that have both.

I have never needed a chip-and-pin card in the last 5 years. I've always been able to just use a normal swipe card, and I've been to most of western and central Europe.
  • Magellan or Travelsmith both sell products to protect your belongings from cut-and-run street thieves and shield your personal information from RFID readers. I use their products when travelling. I just got back from Italy and no trouble with my credit cards being swiped.
  • I have also seen RFID-blocking sleeves for both credit cards and passports at REI. You might also try any store specializing in luggage (eg, a Samsonite outlet).
  • We just received our's from Amazon that holds passport, credit cards, etc. and they are RFDI. We ordered credit cards from CitiBank as well. Not sure if we will have a problem but wanted to be sure on our French Waterway in October.
  • On last year's French Waterways we had no problem using a Bank of America Debit (non-chip) card in ATMs in either France or Lyon (we stayed an extra 3 days after the tour). BNP Paribas banks are part of the same global alliance that Bank of America is in, so there were no ATM charges.
  • edited October 2013
    I recently received a new "Chip & Signature" card from American Express when I told them I would be traveling abroad (http://chipandsignature.americanexpress.com/). It doesn't use the "pin", however, their site says it's compatible in Europe - you just have to sign rather than enter a pin.

I'll be traveling down the Rhine in a few weeks and wondered if anyone has any insight on using this card in Europe? Neither of my banks currently supply chip-n-pin MasterCard or Visa cards yet...and I'd rather not open a new account.
  • We are going to Austria, Germany and Amsterdam in December on a Danube Xmas Market River Cruise and we've been told by AAA here in USA and the owner of our Bed&Breakfast in Amsterdam to definitely have a chip credit card.

I have a wallet and a travel wallet that holds passport, etc - got them both from Amazon - but have seen them at REI and at the Mori Luggage stores in the mall. Amazon was the cheapest - tons of options. Purse scanning is a growing crime - can't hurt to have a protected wallet. My husband even bought one.
  • CJTrayser wrote:
    I recently received a new "Chip & Signature" card from American Express when I told them I would be traveling abroad (http://chipandsignature.americanexpress.com/). It doesn't use the "pin", however, their site says it's compatible in Europe - you just have to sign rather than enter a pin.

I'll be traveling down the Rhine in a few weeks and wondered if anyone has any insight on using this card in Europe? Neither of my banks currently supply chip-n-pin MasterCard or Visa cards yet...and I'd rather not open a new account.
    Chip & Signature will work just about everywhere a chip & PIN card would. The few times I've used my chip & signature card in Europe, they just handed me a signature slip without any fuss instead of asking for a PIN (and even on those occasions, a regular magnetic stripe card would have worked just fine - no chip necessary). The only problems I've heard of are at some unattended kiosks, such as at train stations and a few gas stations. Even then, it's not always a problem. If a kiosk does ask for a PIN by some chance, you can always try entering 0000 or your cash advance PIN.

This discussion has been closed.