Travel options while on the Music Cruise? Some helpful info from past cruisers on this tour?

We are planning on the October 2014 Magic Music cruise on the Danube. We just complete a VRC Elbe River Cruise from Prague to Berlin and we are hooked on river cruising. From all the reviews Tauck is several steps up in accommodations, features, and quality (although we had no complaints about how well VRC took care of us).

After reviewing the itinerary we have a few questions that either the staff or previous travelers on this cruise might answer for us.

When in Budapest, there is a walking tour. It is not clear if the Museum of Music History and Bartok's home are options or part of the walking tour. If options is there enough free time to do on our own? I presume the cost of admission to these is extra. We'd like to do both is why we are asking.

October tour doesn't offer the Mozart Requiem performance. Anyone taking the October tour that can share what the optional performance was in lieu of the Mozart?

In Vienna, is the Figarohaus of Mozart and the Haus der Musik optional in place of the orchestra rehearsal, or options after the rehearsal? And is admission to either of these part of the cruise and time in the schedule for them?

Curious as to why when we disembark the ship at Regensburg neither lunch or dinner is provided when we head to Prague. I had read one review posting on the Internet that commented that Tauck gave us Euros to spend on lunch at a stop. Anyone confirm this? Or, as I assume, these meals our at our expense and on our own.

How many participate in the guest choir and rehearsals? Just curious. The itinerary overall looks marvelous.

Thanks for anyone who would care to share helpful answers to our questions.

Dave

Comments

• I do remember we did a walking tour at Regensburg on the Blue Danube cruise which is the same route, but with doing different things, then had some time to walk around shop and eat after. The place to go is for the famous out door restaurant for sausages near the river. I don't remember being given any money for eating, but I believe most ate there and it is inexpensive.
  • Thanks for the feedback! Dave
  • edited September 2013
    davedbw wrote:
    We are planning on the October 2014 Magic Music cruise on the Danube. We just complete a VRC Elbe River Cruise from Prague to Berlin and we are hooked on river cruising. From all the reviews Tauck is several steps up in accommodations, features, and quality (although we had no complaints about how well VRC took care of us).

After reviewing the itinerary we have a few questions that either the staff or previous travelers on this cruise might answer for us.

When in Budapest, there is a walking tour. It is not clear if the Museum of Music History and Bartok's home are options or part of the walking tour. If options is there enough free time to do on our own? I presume the cost of admission to these is extra. We'd like to do both is why we are asking.

October tour doesn't offer the Mozart Requiem performance. Anyone taking the October tour that can share what the optional performance was in lieu of the Mozart?

In Vienna, is the Figarohaus of Mozart and the Haus der Musik optional in place of the orchestra rehearsal, or options after the rehearsal? And is admission to either of these part of the cruise and time in the schedule for them?

Curious as to why when we disembark the ship at Regensburg neither lunch or dinner is provided when we head to Prague. I had read one review posting on the Internet that commented that Tauck gave us Euros to spend on lunch at a stop. Anyone confirm this? Or, as I assume, these meals our at our expense and on our own.

How many participate in the guest choir and rehearsals? Just curious. The itinerary overall looks marvelous.

Thanks for anyone who would care to share helpful answers to our questions.

Dave

Hello Dave,

Let me try to answer your questions the best I can:

Regarding Budapest, on Day 3 all guests will take a coach to the Bartok house, which is about 15 minutes outside of the castle district of Buda. You can then choose to either have free time on castle hill, or visit the Music History Museum with a guide. The cost of both activities is included in your tour price

For the October departure, you will not do the Mozart Requiem at the Karlskirche; instead you will see a performance of Verdi’s Aida at the Vienna State Opera. Our tickets are all in the first 9 orchestra rows, or in the first couple side boxes. Excellent seats!

For the second day in Vienna, all guests will go to the orchestral rehearsal demo. Then, if you wish, you can have free time, return to the ship for lunch, or join a Tauck Director or “maestro” to visit either Haus der Musik or Figaro Haus. Admission to one of those choices will be provided for you. If you go quickly, you could probably visit the other museum on your own.

On Day 10 of this itinerary, there is no lunch or dinner provided by Tauck.

Hope this helps,
    Emily

[/quote]
  • Emily, thank you so much. These are very helpful answer to our questions. We signed up this morning for the 2014 October cruise. We are excited!

Dave and Kay
    Bloomington, IL
This discussion has been closed.