Add Pompeii tour?

We are looking at this tour but want to also include a day trip to Pompeii. If we stay an extra day in Rome after the tour ends will that one day be enough to take a Pompeii tour??? Not sure if one day is enough time.

Comments

• According to the train website it will take about 2 hrs one way. If you rent a car can be done. On the Classic Italy tour we stopped there before our lunch break from Sorrento to Rome for a few hour tour. So yes you can do it if you want. You might, also, look into Herculaneum it is the Ercolano train station stop. It is not as ruined as its famous big sister according to Rick Steves book on Italy.
  • Thanks for your reply!
  • I'd like to second the suggestion that you go to Herculaneum instead of Pompeii. We did both but from Naples not Rome and it was an easy train trip. Herculaneum is not as crowded as Pompeii and because of the type of destruction is in much better shape. The ruins of Herculaneum are, in my opinion, far better than Pompeii and you'll really see a part of Roman living that you won't find anywhere else. We were so glad that we could include both sites on our holiday.
  • That is what Rick Steve's book says H is much better preservered
  • Tauck took us to Herculaneum in September on the Rome to Malta tour and the ruins are remarkable. Some of the best I have seen. It can be easily done in a day and traffic was not busy on the highway.
    Gary
  • edited November 2013
    Having had the opportunity to tour both Pompeii and Herculaneum (although neither with Tauck), I would also choose Herculaneum. Both were fantastic experiences, but the better preserved buildings, brilliant frescos, colorful mosaics, etc. made Herculaneum even more amazing. If the opportunity ever arises, do both. If you can choose only one, I'd choose Herculaneum.
This discussion has been closed.