tipping currency

With the Scandanavian Tour approaching the end of August, we are wondering in which countries denomination the director and bus drivers are to be paid. Also, any suggestions as to how much cash to arrive with in Sweden for incidentals?

Comments

• Actually we are also going towards the end of this month and had the same question
  • You can pay the Tauck tour director in dollars if the person is an American. We paid the drivers in their currency since they were from Denmark and Norway.
  • Susan, you have been extremely helpful.

We have been on Tauck before and neither my husband nor I can remember how much we tipped. Also it was a single country and a single driver. As you, we will also be going to a Euro country after the tour, which means 4 countries and 5 currencies (including US). We would like to get an idea of how much to set aside for tips, especially if it means bringing extra US currency. Im not all that comfortable carrying excess cash anywhere, and especially while travelling. I called Tauck and understandably they were vague.

If you prefer
    I can be contacted at watergate123@hotmail.com
  • Gentlemen:

I found out the suggested tip is 3-5 dollars for the driver per day, per guest. For the tour director, it is 5-8 dollars per day, per guest. Of course, tip at your own discretion. As in restaurants, I tend to give more if there is exceptional service! So for the length of time for this tour, it can get to be a lot per couple.
  • edited August 2011
    You do not need to tip for meals in any of the countries. The servers are extremely well paid ($30/hr) and the VAT increases your bill substantially.
This discussion has been closed.