Welcome to Tauck’s Budapest to Amsterdam by Riverboat Forum

Welcome to Tauck’s Budapest to Amsterdam by Riverboat Forum- Find the answers to your trip questions, answer questions posted by fellow travelers, plus share your Tauck experiences and stories. Stop by often and join in on the discussions.

Comments

• This is our first riverboat cruise and our first trip with Tauck, so we're looking forward to it. Packing tips would be helpful if there's a forum on that topic.
  • Just go to this page:

http://www.tauck.com/tours/europe-tours/central-and-eastern-europe-tours/rhine-river-cruise-ran-2011.aspx

Scroll down to the "Need to Know" section and click on "Preparing to Go".

Hope this helps!
  • Will be going on the July 2012 Budapest to Amsterdam. I will be taking a sport coat and tie. My wife plans to dress accordingly especially at the Vienna night. Hope this helps....
  • As several recent passengers, particularly OzJohnno, have posted, a jacket (with or without tie) is not required for any activities on this itinerary, including the lovely evening in Vienna. Unless Tauck advises us that this has changed, we do not intend to bring jackets or ties on our Budapest to Amsterdam cruise in October. Some of the fashion police from Florida (not exactly the fashion capital of the world) who post on this forum may disagree with this decision; but we choose to take our dress code requests from the cruise line and not from passengers who wish to impose their preferences on the rest of the passengers.

This cruise appears to be a marvelous adventure, to which we are looking eagerly. With luck, we will have great fall colors.

Cheers, Fred
  • Hi freddie,

Most of the people who have posted took this river cruise when the weather was warm or hot. Since you are going in October, you will need some kind of jacket to keep warm. My husband wears a nice long sleeved shirt for the Tauck welcome party during the hot summer months in Europe.

Sheila
  • As Freddie said above I struggled mightily against those on these boards who insisted that if I didn't have a jacket then I was better off travelling with another, casual type of river cruise company. Well I ignored those people and went with Tauck last September anyway and I reported upon returning that around 50% of men wore a jacket to the concert and those of us who didn't were not ostracised. In my case where I live - in the tropics of Australia - I didn't own or need a jacket but if wearing a coat at a function is what you do on an everyday basis then go ahead and continue to do so BUT there are so many great things to bring home as gifts and a jacket does take up a lot of luggage space and you won't look out of place if you don't wear one.
  • I wish these boards were a bit more active. I started a thread for the July 14, 2013 Budapest to Amsterdam cruise. I noticed that there were 41 views yet no one has responded. It would be nice if there were some responses so that we could all get to know each other a bit prior to the cruise.
    Terri
  • Very seldom do you get any hits for someone traveling on your particular tour, but you can get a lot of helpful hints on what to do or what to expect from people who has already taken tours. There are a few of us active enough on the forum that try to help.
  • Hi Terri,

I try not to post just for the sake of seeing my name! I try to give a sane reply to a question if I can! No guarantee there, of course! ;) As Crackers says, people will usually jump in with a reply or hint, but as for actually meeting your fellow travellers before departure, that is very much the luck of the draw. Now that you've started the ball rolling for this departure, who knows! People may never shut up! I can't help you with this departure. I'm off to the north-eastern states of the Union this year.

Have fun on the rivers. It's a lovely trip.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Hi Terri,

I did this trip in September 2011 and if there is anything I can help you with please ask. I was lucky I guess as when we opened up a "roll-call" thread we managed to find two couples from the US going on our trip and we still keep in contact. As Jan can tell you we Aussies like to meet new friends. Our next Tauck holiday won't be until next year when we blow it all on our 40th Wedding Anniversary holiday. You will have a great time I'm sure as Tauck never skimp on anything.
  • Thanks for the replies. We are so looking forward to this trip and always find it helpful when we meet others on line prior to the voyage. We have done a number of ocean voyages and join the roll calls on Cruise Critic, getting lots of great information.
    I'll keep posting when I have a question.
    Terri
  • edited May 2013
    This has nothing to do with this specific cruise, but with the boards in general. There are a few sub-forums that are not showing up when accessing the travel forums, such as the General Form and the Tips forum. Perhaps Tauck Emily can bring it to the attention of the people who are able to fix the problem.
    Thanks.
    Terri
This discussion has been closed.