Options

Essence of South America luggage restrictions...

Is anyone concerned about the size of the luggage one is permitted on the in tour air travel... you are only allowed one case per person (54" total) and the carry-on is suppose to be the size of a small backpack... is that actually doable?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Hatwell,
    I went on the Essence of South America tour in March 2009. I don't recall any luggage problems. I have one checked suitcase which I weigh at home and it never exceeds 42 pounds. I have a soft sided carry on that I can fit under the seat in front of me. In addition, I carry a medium sized handbag which also can fit under the seat in front of me. Tauck tells you this is a casual tour, so you don't all kinds of outfits and shoes.
    What I was really appreciative of was that when we were in Rio, our tour director insisted we leave all jewelry in the safe in our rooms, and she hired two body guards to walk with us in the down town area.
    My tour was a small group departure because I don't like traveling with more than 30 people. Our tour director was wonderful. She gave us helpful written instructions, such as Do not drink the tap water in Brazil and Always carry enough toilet paper for your daily use.
    I had a great time, loved Iguazu Falls, and felt well-taken care of and looked out for by Tauck.
  • Options
    Hello Plane7... and thank you for your reply. Exactly what evening event do you feel a jacket (for men) would be recommended? I do not intend to bring my good rings and will bring only what I can wear at one time. Pat Hatwell
  • Options
    Hi Pat,
    People tend to dress up a bit for the welcoming and farewell dinners, but it is not required, and it doesn't mean formal, like on cruises. In addition to those dinners, one evening in Buenos Aires, we went out to a tango show and dinner. Most people dressed up somewhat for that. I dug out the Tauck group photo taken before we were going to dinner at the Llao Llao Resort, and all the women (12 of us) are sitting in the front row: 4 are wearing dresses (3 black, 1 print); 2 are wearing skirts (1 black with print blouse, 1 print with black blouse); 1 is wearing black capri pants with a dark green blouse; 1 is wearing a white pants suit; and 4 are wearing slacks (3 black with dressy tops, 1 tan with animal print top). 11 of the women are wearing black heels, open toed or sandals. The 1 woman with the white pants suit has on white patent flats. The 12 men are in the back row. 6 of them are wearing suit jackets with collared shirt, 1 also with a tie. The other 6 are wearing pullover tops: 4 short sleeved, 2 long sleeved.
    I hope this helps!
    When are you going?
    Clare
  • Options
    Thank you Clare... that was most helpful, very vivid description. Our tour starts October 4th.

Pat Hatwell
  • Options
    Hi Pat,
    We are also struggling with the luggage restrictions especially as we are in South America for over 5 weeks. We are on the tour starting 11th October.
    Good luck and enjoy your trip,
    Debbie
  • Options
    Hello Traveller, I suggest you send additional luggage on to our last hotel in Rio via Fed-X and have it arrive the day we get there and you will have it for the rest of your trip. You could have someone at home send it to arrive when you need it, or even to your next stop... Good luck, Hatwells
This discussion has been closed.