Options

Welcome to Tauck’s Treasures of the Aegean Forum

Welcome to Tauck’s Treasures of the Aegean Forum- Find the answers to your trip questions, answer questions posted by fellow travelers, plus share your Tauck experiences and stories. Stop by often and join in on the discussions.

Comments

• Options
    Welcome to Tauck’s Treasures of the Aegean Forum- Find the answers to your trip questions, answer questions posted by fellow travelers, plus share your Tauck experiences and stories. Stop by often and join in on the discussions.
  • Options
    We are looking forward to our upcoming trip to Turkey and Greece. I am a bit concerned about Windstar's bankrupcy filing. Is there a danger that our trip will be cancelled?
  • Options
    Hi Cosmo, this trip is still scheduled to depart as planned. Haven't heard otherwise.
  • Options
    Had not heard of Windstar bankruptcy.
    There are two issues; i.e., is the trip "on" and, if it is, what does that mean to service, safety, and "amenities" typically offered to travelers?
  • Options
    Windstar Cruises to be sold to equity firm, will continue regular operations
    By Gene Sloan, USA TODAY

Windstar Cruises' 148-passenger Wind Star.
    CAPTIONCourtesy Windstar Cruises This item was written by Johanna Jainchill, who covers cruising for Travel Weekly. Jainchill is serving as Guest Editor of The Cruise Log while USA TODAY Cruise Editor Gene Sloan is away.

Windstar Cruises will be sold to a private equity firm by its parent company, Ambassadors International, which today filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

Windstar, an upscale boutique line that operates three motorized sailboats, said that operations would continue as usual during the sale.

In a statement, the company said that it is being sold to White Plains, New York-based investment firm, Whippoorwill Associates.

Whippoorwill will provide $10 million in financing to support Windstar's operations over the next 45 days, Windstar said, the proposed time to complete the sale. Windstar said that was, "ample liquidity to meet its obligations to Windstar's customers, suppliers and employees without interruption while the sale is being completed."

For any passengers booked on or currently sailing on Windstar cruises, the company said it would:

Operate all Windstar cruises as scheduled;
    Maintain all of Windstar's customer programs and policies;
    Honor all Windstar fares and reservations, including charter contracts;
    Provide commissions and payments to its travel partners as usual and employee wages and benefits without interruption; and
    Pay all Windstar vendors and suppliers for goods and services received both before and during the reorganization process in connection with the sale.

"Our customers and guests remain our top priority," said Hans Birkholz, CEO of both Ambassadors and Windstar, in a statement. "The actions we are announcing today will allow us to build on our strong brand position and guest experience delivery while we position Windstar for profitability and long-term success."

Windstar said that Whippoorwill, a private investment firm with over $1 billion under management, plans to maintain Windstar's business and operations and invest in Windstar's growth following completion of the anticipated sale.

Shelley Greenhaus, president of Whippoorwill, in a statement called Windstar " a leading brand in the small ship luxury travel market" and said that once it comes out form under its debt burden, "we are confident Windstar will be poised to grow its market share over the long term."
  • Options
    The April 1 press release stated that Windstar had enough promised financing to last for 45 days, i.e., until this Sunday. (1) Has the sale/purchase closed? (2)If not, what is its status? (3) What is Tauk doing about insuring the integrety of its May/June trips on Windstar?

A prompt response would be appreciated.
  • Options
    I have contacted Tauck several times in the past week and have a commitment that they will in turn contact Windstar in the coming week. There is a Tauck tour out and about on Windstar as we speak, so if turns into a pumpkin on May 15th, we should hear about it!
    I am concerned about safety and security in an environment in which the staff might not know what the future holds.
    But, I am willing to give Tauck the opportunity to let us know how they see the situation.
    (Another publication below)
    =================================================================================
    Travel agents react to bankruptcy sale of Windstar Cruises
    By Donna Tunney

Ambassadors timeline
    June 1998: Acquires Incentive Associates, a Laguna Hills, Calif.-based incentive, meetings and conference planning firm.

June 1999: Buys Travel Dynamics International of Cary, N.C., a youth travel company specializing in overseas sporting events.

February 2006: Establishes Ambassadors Cruise Group division and buys American West Steamboat Co., and its two river ships.

April 2006: Buys Delta Queen Steamboat Co., and its three river ships.

June 2006: Combines its river cruise operations under the Majestic America Line brand.

July 2006: Acquires Nishida Tekko America Corp., owner of Bellingham Marine Industries. Pays $7 million and retires a debt of $6 million.

July 2008: Has its Bank of America credit line cut by 40%, from $12.5 million to $7.5 million.

October 2008: Begins shutdown of river cruise business Majestic America Line.

February 2009: Announces it will put all non-cruise assets up for sale.

March 2010: Borrows $10 million and secures a $5 million credit line from Whippoorwill Associates.

November 2010: Borrows $10 million and secures a $5 million credit line from Whippoorwill Associates.

Travel agents had mixed reactions to the news that Windstar Cruises' parent, Ambassadors International, filed bankruptcy April 1 and sold the line's assets to its largest creditor, Whippoorwill Associates.

At an April 5 hearing, the U.S. Bankrupcy Court in Delaware granted permission for Windstar and Ambassadors to maintain customer programs, meaning its ships will continue sailing and agency commissions and employee salaries will be paid.

Also, the bankruptcy court granted interim approval for both companies to arrange $5 million in new working capital.

However, several agents across the country said they now would be nervous about booking Windstar, operator of three masted ships: the Wind Spirit, Wind Star and Wind Surf.

"I wouldn’t be comfortable with that," said Dennis Sanchez of Sailaway Cruises in San Francisco. "With today’s economic downturn, anything like this would make you think twice."

Barbara Mielke, of USTravel in Seattle, agreed.

"I haven’t booked it lately," Mielke said. "I'd been noticing changes within the company, and when we see significant changes we take a step back and watch."

Among the changes she cited was staffing.

"We knew there were sales reps who had left, and there was nothing positive happening in their finances," she said. "I'm unlikely to put anyone on it now. Windstar was excellent when it was owned by Holland America Line, but it’s been struggling ever since then."

Carnival Corp., HAL’s parent, sold Windstar to Ambassador in 2007 for $100 million.

Windstar had faded from market awareness in the last couple of years, said Sanchez.

"It used to have a stronger presence," Sanchez said. "I haven’t been booking it in quite a while."

He attributed that largely to a lack of marketing: "We get blasted with information from other lines, but there have been no efforts to get the word out about Windstar. It’s just been out of mind."

The proposed sale of Windstar to Whippoorwill is expected to be completed in 45 days. During that time and after, Windstar CEO Hans Birkholz said, it’s going to be business as usual. (Click to read a Q&A with Birkholz.)

"All of our cruises will operate as scheduled," he said. "The management team is staying in place, our commissions to travel partners will be paid. This is a very positive step for the company."

But some frontline sellers are saying precisely what Birkholz doesn’t want to hear: that they’re taking a wait-and-see attitude about Windstar’s future.

"I’d have to wait for the dust to settle and see if it’s working," said Bill Wodarski, owner of Above & Beyond Travel in Austin, Texas. Wodarski said he would have rather seen Windstar sold to a major cruise company.

"If it’s someone you know, it’s different," he said. "But a private investment company, I don’t know. It’s a bummer, because it’s a great product. I’ve sailed on it."

Agent Tom Kleefish said he would not want to regret putting clients on Windstar.

"I had an inquiry for Windstar recently," said Kleefish, who owns Cruise Planners/American Express Dallas. "I said, 'Look, I'm personally uncomfortable with it.' ... An astute agent looks at a situation like this and knows that it could come back to bite you."

On the other hand, not all retailers agreed that ownership by a private investment firm was a negative.

"Private ownership puts it in the same company as, say, Oceania," said Charles de L'Arbre, president of Santa Barbara Travel in Santa Barbara, Calif., a Virtuoso agency.

"It may very well be a strength. Windstar had been reported to be on shaky ground for two or three years. This probably helps its position. I don't think this would stand in the way of continuing to book them, but I'd strongly recommend that clients take out insurance in the case of supplier default."

However, buying insurance for a Windstar cruise might prove to be a problem. Access America, the largest travel protection provider in the U.S., said it removed Windstar from its supplier protection list in 2009.

Birkholz played down that setback, noting that a consumer who pays for a cruise with a credit card has built-in protection in the event of a default.

Windstar, de L’Arbre observed, has been heavily marketed by Costco, which offered hefty discounts. But the news isn’t good on that front either.

A reporter's call to Costco Travel revealed that the mega-retailer is no longer selling Windstar. A sales representative, who assumed he was speaking with a potential customer, said there had been "a lack of interest in Windstar," and he instead tried to sell the caller a Seabourn, Regent or Crystal cruise.

Whippoorwill has agreed to provide $10 million in new financing under a debtor-in-possession credit facility, which can be used to help support Ambassadors’ and Windstar’s operations during the sale process. Also, the bankruptcy court granted interim approval for both companies to arrange $5 million in new working capital.

With its current cash availability and this additional funding, Ambassadors said it believed it had ample liquidity to meet its obligations to Windstar’s customers, suppliers, agents and employees without interruption.

In addition to Windstar operations, and as part of the sale, Whippoorwill will acquire the assets of Ambassadors’ former Majestic America Line operations, which were discontinued in 2008. Related assets include the river ships Delta Queen and Columbia Queen.

Shelley Greenhaus, president of Whippoorwill, said in a statement immediately following the Chapter 11 filing that once Windstar is "free of its debt burden" it will be poised to grow its market share.

"In its short tenure, the existing management team has made significant strides in transforming Windstar's operations," Greenhaus said. "The various initiatives implemented in the past year have started to turn the business around."

Greenhaus had no further comment on the firm’s longer-term plans for Windstar. A reporter's calls were referred to Whippoorwill's general counsel.
  • Options
    How does Le Levant fit into this picture? Is it also owned by the parent company or is it a separate entity?
  • Options
    Hi Nial,

No, this shouldn't affect Le Levant in any way; it's owned by an entirely different company.

And, for everyone else, the Windstar bankruptcy is not affecting our tours at all. We've been monitoring the situation very closely with our Tour Directors, and they all report that it's been "business as usual."

We'll keep you posted if anything changes.

Best,
    Tim
This discussion has been closed.