Options

Clothing

I am going on the tour to Iceland in July 2012. I was wondering how cold does it get so I know how heavy the clothes should be that I need to pack. I know that it will be cold above the Arctic Circle, but what about on the rest of the trip?
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Iceland was fabulous trip(July 2011). I wore tencil blue jeans(lighter weight fabric),kahki pants, capris a lot. Took 2 wind jackets by patagonia,
    light weight fleece from LLBean, turtlenecks. Did use my turtle fur headband once but it really can get warm when sun comes out. Would start out with jacket on then end up carrying it as day went on. I used some good nike type walking sneaker and was fine. It can be windy but definitely warmer than we thought. If you want, I can send you via email, pictures one person in our group of 8 took to see clothing. We did
    wear nice slacks and tops for dinner-only twice did my husband do coat and tie. Went a day ahead and enjoyed lovely restaurant in Reykiavek.
    and zoo and botanical park near the hotel. We took Delta out of NYC . The scenery and bird watching is truly awe inspiring.
  • Options
    Thanks for the information about what you wore. It gives me a better idea as to what I need to pack. I am looking forward to this tour as it seems like quite an adventure.
  • Options
    Happy to assist with any clothing questions.
    Fish Market was name of great restaurant in
    Reykjavik. Also Icelandic fish and chips was a go
    To place for our airline crew.
    We also found the shopping at airport in duty free
    At end of trip very good. Lots of nice stores.nice
    Lava jewelry.
  • Options
    Hi Everyone,

I've included the clothing and packing advice from the "Preparing to Go" section of our "Need to Know" on the Iceland itinerary page for 2012. Please feel free to check it at your own convenience.

Please be aware that the below information is accurate as of 12/30/2011. Using it after that point may entail some risk, as any changes on the itinerary page may not have been reflected here.

You should be emailed an updated version of the information below shortly before your departure.

I hope this helps!

-Tim

---

Your cruise along the coast of Iceland is casual. Dress for comfort and convenience with a wardrobe that is adaptable and allows for layering. Comfortable, cotton clothing is suggested. The weather in midsummer in Iceland is cool and temperate. You will need a light jacket or fleece, a light sweater and a rain poncho. Most importantly, bring comfortable yet sturdy walking shoes that have already been broken-in. It is important that your shoes have good ankle support, as we visit some sites where pathways and stairs may be uneven and unpaved.

In the main dining room for gentlemen, slacks and a collared shirt are acceptable and for women, slacks/skirt and a blouse are acceptable. We have found, however, that the international mix of travelers onboard tend to dress a little bit more formally than one might expect on a cruise of an expeditionary nature. If you would be uncomfortable dining in a setting where others are wearing a jacket and tie or a cocktail dress then you may like to wear a jacket or a cocktail dress for special evenings like the Captain’s Welcome and Farewell Dinners.

Valet laundry services are available on board the ship.

We recommend that you pack an adequate supply of your prescription medication in its original container to last through your entire journey, together with a copy of your doctor’s prescription or a letter from your health-care provider on office stationery explaining that the medication has been prescribed for you, a list of the generic names of your medication, your travel documents and a change of clothing in your carry-on bag to avoid any inconvenience in the event that your flight or luggage is delayed.

Following is a list of recommended items to pack for your cruise journey to Iceland:

* Comfortable, cotton clothing
    * Shorts and long pants
    * Short and long sleeve shirts
    * Optional jacket and tie/cocktail dress
    * Sunglasses, sunscreen, hat
    * Swimwear
    * Gym wear
    * A light or medium weight sweater or jacket
    * Lightweight waterproof slicker
    * Comfortable walking shoes with adequate ankle support
    * Binoculars
    * Insect repellent
    * Camera, lenses, batteries, memory cards or plenty of film
    * Battery-operated travel alarm clock
    * Collapsible umbrella
    * Pre-moistened towelettes
    * Zippered plastic bags to protect your camera and cell phones during ship-to-shore transfers
    * Copies of your travel documents that should be secured in the safe in your hotel room while traveling
  • Options
    You listed swimwear?
  • Options
    You will need a bathing suit if you go into the Blue Lagoon which is a stop on the tour where one can swim and then we had an Icelandic lunch.
This discussion has been closed.