Options

Welcome to Tauck’s Classic Italy Forum

Welcome to Tauck’s Classic Italy Forum - Find the answers to your trip questions, answer questions posted by fellow travelers, plus share your Tauck experiences and stories. Stop by often and join in on the discussions.

Comments

• Options
    My wife and I are looking for anyone who is going on the Classic Italy tour starting Aug 24th.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Dress code: Since we will be traveling in August, would it be acceptable for a man to wear bermuda shorts and sandals during any part of the Classic Italy tour?
  • Options
    Hi Rich, My husband and I will also be on the Classic Italy tour (8/24)! It is my first trip to Italy and our first Tauck Tour.
  • Options
    Hi Rona,
    We, too, have never been to Italy and this is our first Tauck tour. We're trying to determine what clothes to bring since it still be hot.
    Rich & Sue
  • Options
    My wife and I will be on the Sept 19th tour. Would love to find out who will be on that trip.
  • Options
    Hi Rona,
    We, too, have never been to Italy and this is our first Tauck tour. We're trying to determine what clothes to bring since it still be hot.
    Rich & Sue
  • Options
    Hi Rich, I am just starting to focus on the "clothing issue". I am going to check with some friends who did a similar tour a few years ago (but not thru Tauck). I know what their brochure says, but it is rather ambiguous - plus it will be very warm when we are there! My husband always opts for comfort! I will let you know what I find out. Where will you and Sue be flying from? We had wanted to get in a day earlier but unfortunately business commitments have gotten in the way. We are leaving from Newark, NJ on the evening of 8/23. Can't wait!! In the meantime, have a happy Easter!
    Rona & Bill
  • Options
    Hi Rona:
    I, too, opt for comfort. We're going nuts looking for comfortable, travel-ready European style American clothes. We will be leaving from Detroit. Funny though, I'm writing from hee in Manchester, NJ--visiting family for Easter. We were born and raised in NJ but moved to MI in '81 with GM. Where are you from? And by the way weare going in a day early.. Rich
  • Options
    From the guidebooks I have read, many of the churches will not let you in with bare shoulders or knees showing or short skirts. In many of the travel magazines or online travel sites, you can find travel clothes that are wrinkle free and easy to pack. For the very hot weather in the summer, try finding a very light weight blouse to put over your sleeveless tops or a cotton sarong (try bathing suit coverups)you can wrap around your shorts when you enter those sites that don't permit shorts or sleeveless. Pack plenty of sunscreen and a sun hat.
    I have travelled with Tauck many times and they are absolutely the best. When we have tried other companies, we didn't feel they met the Tauck standard and we have always come back to Tauck. We are going on the May 4th Classic Italy trip. My husband was there many, many years ago, but I have never been. Hope you enjoy and be prepared for some long lines in August.
  • Options
    Hi Rich & Sue,
    It really is a SMALL world! I was born & raised in NJ (North Brunswick). Right now we are living in Millstone Twp (Monmouth Cty) altho moving to Point Pleasant Beach sometime this summer. Sorry to you have to be suffering through this awful weather for the holiday weekend. But at least you are with family which is a good thing. I have used the catalog/internet site for Travelsmith among others. They are a little pricey, but offer great ideas for items and travel tips. Also their "SALE" section has some good deals. My goal and challenge is to pack LIGHT!! I don't think that Bill will be bringing a sport jacket for any of the 'special' dinners.
    Enjoy the holiday and your family!
    Rona & Bill
  • Options
    Hi Rich & Sue,
    I saw my friends who had traveled to Italy during similar season a few years back and inquired as to the dress code for men. He did wear shorts as it was VERY HOT, but also confirmed what SusiQ34683 indicated for churches, etc. Hope that helps you out a bit!
  • Options
    Rona,
    Thanks for getting back. I pretty much assumed that would be the case. I'll be bringing my shorts and sandals. Undoubtedly we'll have more questions as we get closer. Rich
  • Options
    We did this tour a few years ago. If you have not traveled with Tauck before, I am sure will love it. They really do take care of everything.

With the exception of dress codes in churches, the rest of the time you can wear pretty much whatever you want. For most of the included meals, neat casual was fine. The only time anyone really dressed up was for the final dinner.

All of the hotels they used were excellent. You can't predict what room you will get but we had multi-room suites in 4 hotels and one was a two level duplex. I know we would never have stayed in places like that if we had to pay for them at standard rates.

All of the meals were quite good with one exception in Venice. They had a buffet for breakfast that I think would have cost 50 euros a person if you were paying for it and it left a lot to be desired. The view out to the grand canal kind of made up for it.

A suggestion for Venice if you'd like to try it - the water taxis are extremenly expensive but if you'd like to try one, the hotels can arrange for one to take you to a glass factory on Murano. You don't have to buy anything and if you don't leave the factory they will also take you back to the hotel. No charge. If you do leave the factory, you are on your own. Pay for the water taxi or take the ferry. It is well worth visiting.

Please let me know if you have any questions I'd be happy to try to answer them.
  • Options
    HI RICH & RONA: I am also on the Classic Italy 8/24 tour. This will be my 6th Tauck Tour and just returned from Tauck's Canadian Rockies tour on July 3rd. I am traveling solo so hope won't be too lonely !
  • Options
    Hi Nanci!
    I having trouble with this Forum site, but think I may have figured it out!!?? Still not sure...
    We are getting VERY excited about the upcoming trip. The Canadian Rockies must have been awesome! This is our 1st Tauck Tour, and from what everyone tells me, I know it will be amazing!
    When are you traveling to Italy and from where?
    Looking forward to meeting you.
    Rona & Bill
  • Options
    Has anyone viewing this discussion been on this tour at the end of October, first week of November (it's the very last one of the season)? We're interested in what the weather was like. The Italian tourism websites are not very encouraging :-(. Thanks. Rod
  • Options
    HI RONA: Nice to hear from a fellow traveler. You will love Tauck.....I am so spoiled ! I live in the Ft. Lauderdale FL area & flying to JFK & then Naples, arriving the day before the tour (8/23). I'm staying at the Excelsior. When are you arriving ?
  • Options
    Nanci,
    We live in NJ and will be arriving in Naples the morning of the start of the tour. Flying Newark>Rome>Naples. We planned this more than a year ago and can't believe it is almost here! If I don't hear from you again, safe travels and we'll see you in Sorrento! ;-))
  • Options
    One of the other forums had a question about acque alta. Is this the occasional flooding that Venice has? The comment reply was that it usually happens Sept/Dec. Do we know anything about this fall season? I leave on tour Sept 24-Oct 7th!
  • Options
    Welcome to Tauck’s Classic Italy Forum - Find the answers to your trip questions, answer questions posted by fellow travelers, plus share your Tauck experiences and stories. Stop by often and join in on the discussions.
    Hi,
    Anyone going on the Classic Italy tour on Oct 10th?
This discussion has been closed.