Options

A week in London and Paris - free time

Hello all,

A friend and I will be on this tour in late September and wonder what suggestions you might have for the free time we have on some days, especially in London. This will be my first trip to London and I am looking for suggestions... do we do some sites on our own, or would you suggest we connect with another day tour group? Does Tauck make any such arrangements?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Tauck does not make arrangements for your free time. Once on the tour your tour guide will make suggestions but if you arrive early it is for the most part up to you.
  • Options
    One of the great things you can do in London with your free time is go to Buckingham Palace and do a tour of the stables next to the Palace where the Queen's horses and coaches are housed. You can view the famous Coach that carried Queen Elizabeth for her Coronation. Also, if you like history, go to the Churchill Museum several blocks from there. It was Churchill's headquarters under the street during WWII. There are fabulous museums all over London. Go on line and put in London in Google and read all the various places there are to visit. We've been there four or five times and always find something we missed. Ask the Concierge at the hotel, also. He will have many suggestions for you.

Sheila
  • Options
    We're on the June 30th tour, and I'm planning alternate activities for the bike ride and the spy walk, as well as an extra day before our tour starts.

I plan to do at least one walking tour...probably through London Walks. They have a variety of interesting tours, and there's no need to sign up in advance, you just meet at the designated tube stop. Here's their website: http://www.walks.com/ There are also some walks in Rick Steve's book.

I also really want to make it to Evensong at either the Abbey or St. Paul's, but I'm not sure it will work.

London has a very vibrant market scene. Here's a map of all the London markets -- opening days and times vary by location: http://www.streetsensation.co.uk/markets.htm

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.