Options

London & Paris July 7 - 14 2013

Hello All:
We heading to London July 5 - actually arrive July 6; will explore a bit on our own and acclimate to the time change on July 7 until our welcome dinner. We have toured with Tauck and expect his will be excellent. We have never been to London or Paris, though have been to many other places in Europe. We are staying a couple of extra days in Paris. Look forward to meeting you all.
Bill
PS We are from California, the Sacramento area - though don't hold that against us.

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

We did this tour two summers ago and arrived in Paris on July 14th which is Bastille Day. We missed the parade and celebrations, but saw some of the celebrations near our Hotel the Intercontinental in Paris where you are staying. We've been in Paris several times and this time, I went to the Opera House which is located across the street from the hotel. It is a MUST SEE! Ask the Conciege what time the tour in English is and do go. Also, see if you can get tickets on line for the Eiffel Tower because the lines are very long during the summer months. My DH took our granddaughter early on Sunday morning since most people were in church and lines are shorter. The internet is very expensive at the hotels in Europe, so go to a Starbucks and buy a cup of coffee and get free service if you need to stay in touch with anyone at home. You'll need your own iPad or laptop.

Have a good time!

Sheila

• Options
    Thanks for the information - most helpful.
    I am wondering if the Moulin Rouge is worth a visit for dinner and show. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Sheila,

Thank you for great travel tips! Please feel free to share any and all tips for London as well please :)

Lori
  • Options
    Hi Lori,

Are you going in earlier? I just answered someone else on the London/Paris thread to make sure they go to Buckingham Palace to see the changing of the guard and then go next door to the Queen's Mews which is where the carriages and horses are kept. We got to see the Royal Coach which was used to transport the Queen to her Coronation. Also, several blocks from there is the Winston Churchill museum and WWII headquarters under the street. This is really a MUST SEE. You can ask your Tour Director or the concierge at the hotel for any other places to go to when you are not on tour. As for the museums, Google "London Museums" and pick out which ones suit you. My granddaughter wanted to go to the Wax Museum and the concierge got her a ticket. While she was in the Wax Museum I walked several blocks from there to visit the Sherlock Holmes gift shop and museum. We've been in London about five or six times and always try to find something to see which we missed. The tour takes you on the London Eye which is wonderful. They have express tickets and go to the head of the line. Have a camera handy, since I took wonderful photos since the Eye goes very slowly. We used our I-Pad at Starbucks which is located a block from the hotel, since the hotel was very expensive for internet service. Just buy a drink and it's free there.

We love London! Have a great time.

Sheila
  • Options
    To Bill Pete,

We did NOT go to the Moulin Rouge. I don't really like crowds and the price was very expensive, especially for three people. It was not something important for my DH to go either. Ask the Concierge to get you tickets if you want to go. We were told that the area isn't that safe at night and the concierge would call you a taxi to take you and pick you up.

Sheila
  • Options
    Sheila:

Thanks for the input. Your insights are very helpful to us.

Are there any folks on the Forum going to be on the July 7 London & Paris tour?

Bill
This discussion has been closed.