Tips on What You May Need

Hi folks. Just got back from Classic Italy Small Group and wanted to pass along a few tips.

1. Be sure to keep some one euro and 50 cent coins on hand. If you need to use a public restroom you will need them!
2. The hair dryers are only about 1200 watts max but work fine. If you need something more, bring your own.
3. If you use hair conditioner bring it with you. Only one hotel had shampoo with conditioner and most had just shampoo. My hair felt like straw!
4. About half of the hotels provided wash cloths.
5. Be prepared to climb a couple of thousand step! They are everywhere - churches, cathedrals, all over Venice - great exercise for the legs and cardio. Comfortable shoes are more than a must!
6. Bring a fan. It is deadly hot inside some of the galleries as there is no air conditioning. If you don't have one they are about 3 euros at a lot of the souvenir stands.
7. In Torgiano try the balsamic condiment. A couple of drops (only a couple!) over vanilla ice cream is to die for!
8. If bottled water is not provided (Venice comes to mind) get your own to carry as it gets very hot. One of the members in our group got overheated.

Comments

• Hi speedyjack: Thanks for all the useful hints that could be handy in alot of tours. I hope you enjoyed the trip. We have booked two trips for this September in Switzerland. Classic Italy small group next May 2014. Any other info about the trip appreciated. Ray & Pat
  • Hello speedyjack.
    Thanks for the great advice.
    Did you pay your Tauck guide and driver gratuities in cash, US$ or Euro's?
    Sounds like a great trip, looking forward to it.
  • laker6 wrote:
    Hello speedyjack.
    Thanks for the great advice.
    Did you pay your Tauck guide and driver gratuities in cash, US$ or Euro's?
    Sounds like a great trip, looking forward to it.
    We paid Euros for driver and US$ for tour guide --but they don't mind Euros either. Have fun!!
  • ray wrote:
    Hi speedyjack: Thanks for all the useful hints that could be handy in alot of tours. I hope you enjoyed the trip. We have booked two trips for this September in Switzerland. Classic Italy small group next May 2014. Any other info about the trip appreciated. Ray & Pat
    Ray & Pat
    First, you may get Jane as your guide if you do in Italy - you will have a blast! She's funny, very knowledgable and a great personality! We loved her! Secondly, in Rome eat at Gingers. Cute place amazing food. Right next to hotel.. Our entire group loved it. Stay up late and walk the cities in Rome Florence & Venice. It's safe and really beautiful. Early mornings are just quiet and no tourists to speak of.. Now we love early mornings and late days when traveling so enjoy them if you can! Take time to enjoy Italy.. Sit, have wine or coffee people watch - just become part of it all. It's wonderful! You will have plenty free time so enjoy walking and exploring. Never know what you will see. English not a problem but after a day we all learned enough Italian to have fun and be gracious. In Venice eat at Buca Mario if you can, & have fun with the waiters they will love you! In fact have fun with them all.. They will make your dining experiences special and they love compliments and smiling people! Italy was amazing, Tauck does incredible job you will see all the best things and be totally spoiled! We did small group Italy it was our 2nd Tauck trip but definitely not our last. Enjoy your travels....
  • "Speedyjack", thank you for such useful information. I've wondered about a few of the items you have mentioned - wash cloths, blow dryers, fan... I've wondered about some of these because of frequent business trips to Mexico.. it is rare to find a wash cloth there. I usually travel with in expensive wash cloths that I through away as we move on to the next destination. Thanks again!!
  • HI everyone. We paid our tour director in U.S. dollars and our driver in euros. We totally agree - Ginger is a great place to eat. In Florence you have to go to Coquinarius and have the cheese and pear ravioli - TO DIE FOR!!!! I found a recipe online from someone who had been there and will be trying it shortly. In Sorrento L'Abate Restaurant had good pizza. The Art Blu Café in Venice was pretty good for lunch. It is right next to a music conservatory so we had a musical and chorale rectal during lunch as they practiced. It was really nice. Our tour guide was Whitney Owen and she was absolutely the best.

One more small hint: If you like your room really dark at night but seem to find rooms with curtains that don't quite meet right in the middle, bring a couple of clothes pins. They will take care of the problems and don't weigh much or take up space. Can also be used for things you might rinse out in the sink.
This discussion has been closed.