Sept 7 Italian Lakes, Venice Florence Rome

Will be solo traveler on this 10 day tour beginning September 7, 2013. Would love to have pre-introduction to any fellow travelers. First time to Italy and first time traveling outside of the US as a solo. Nervous but excited!!

Comments

• Don't be nervous. Italy is a fabulous country to visit and you will see some of the best areas. (Just use common sense about pickpockets and such - as you would in any tourist areas.) I have been on several Tauck trips as a single and can assure you everything will be fine - you only have to be alone when you want to be and your Tauck leader will take care of everything. You will meet lots of nice people.
  • Thanks for the encouraging words!! I really looking forward to this trip!
  • I am going to Italy on the Classic tour leaving for it 9/1. Someone on my last trip told me she uses safety pins on any pockets to deter the pickpockets. I have watched Rick Steves the travel guy and he says to always be alert. Hard when you are looking at amazing stuff, but no if there is a disturbance in a crowd it is to get your attention to it and there will be pickpockets in the crowd and if you use the busses or trains in tourist areas you need to be careful.
  • Chrisanne: I took this trip as a solo two years ago. It is a fabulous and wonderful first trip to Italy as there is a lot of variety. .... on safety, there seem to be problems everywhere in the world with pickpockets in tourist areas. While in Florence near the cathedral on this trip, the police were chasing down a guy who had stole a fanny pack from a tourist... I have a Bagallini purse that has zippered compartments inside zippered compartments with hooks to keep pouches in the purse; and the strap is long enough to wear cross body and have metal in straps so it cannot be cut. I am taking this purse with me to Barcelona on Tauck trip as I hear Barcelona has similar issues. You will have a great time on this trip. Vivamus
  • Vivimus - thank you for the advice on safety and pick pockets. I work in Chicago and am familiar with the pickpocket issue and am diligent in always being aware of my surroundings however, you are most correct in the need to be extra careful. There is so much to see and and the beauty Im sure is distracting! Looking forward to a wonderful trip!
This discussion has been closed.