Options

Credit Card with embeded chip - Northern Italy

Going on the Northern Italy tour in a few weeks. I understand Europe has largely converted to credit cards with embeded chips, while US has not. Will this be a problem at shops/atms?

Comments

• Options
    I did not have a problem in Italy last year but did in Copenhagen a couple of years ago.

Your credit card company should be able to send you a chip and pin card. I requested one from Citibank and they sent it. I haven't used it in Europe yet but I have it if needed. It is the same card number I had and still has the strip for use here and I have been using it regularly in the US. Better to have it just in case.

Have a great trip. You are going to my favorite country!

Sue
  • Options
    Be sure to carry the card in a RFID-blocking sleeve (or aluminum foil in a pinch). These cards are more vulnerable to theft, since the thief doesn't need to touch you or the card in order to make a duplicate.
  • Options
    Nick,

Where can I get an RFID-blocking sleeve?

Sue

• Options
    The chip in a chip-and-pin or chip-and-signature is not an RFID chip. The credit card could also have an RFID chip, but I can't think of any off the top of my head that have both.

I have never needed a chip-and-pin card in the last 5 years. I've always been able to just use a normal swipe card, and I've been to most of western and central Europe.
  • Options
    Magellan or Travelsmith both sell products to protect your belongings from cut-and-run street thieves and shield your personal information from RFID readers. I use their products when travelling. I just got back from Italy and no trouble with my credit cards being swiped.
  • Options
    I have also seen RFID-blocking sleeves for both credit cards and passports at REI. You might also try any store specializing in luggage (eg, a Samsonite outlet).
  • Options
    We just received our's from Amazon that holds passport, credit cards, etc. and they are RFDI. We ordered credit cards from CitiBank as well. Not sure if we will have a problem but wanted to be sure on our French Waterway in October.
  • Options
    On last year's French Waterways we had no problem using a Bank of America Debit (non-chip) card in ATMs in either France or Lyon (we stayed an extra 3 days after the tour). BNP Paribas banks are part of the same global alliance that Bank of America is in, so there were no ATM charges.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I recently received a new "Chip & Signature" card from American Express when I told them I would be traveling abroad (http://chipandsignature.americanexpress.com/). It doesn't use the "pin", however, their site says it's compatible in Europe - you just have to sign rather than enter a pin.

I'll be traveling down the Rhine in a few weeks and wondered if anyone has any insight on using this card in Europe? Neither of my banks currently supply chip-n-pin MasterCard or Visa cards yet...and I'd rather not open a new account.
  • Options
    We are going to Austria, Germany and Amsterdam in December on a Danube Xmas Market River Cruise and we've been told by AAA here in USA and the owner of our Bed&Breakfast in Amsterdam to definitely have a chip credit card.

I have a wallet and a travel wallet that holds passport, etc - got them both from Amazon - but have seen them at REI and at the Mori Luggage stores in the mall. Amazon was the cheapest - tons of options. Purse scanning is a growing crime - can't hurt to have a protected wallet. My husband even bought one.
  • Options
    CJTrayser wrote:
    I recently received a new "Chip & Signature" card from American Express when I told them I would be traveling abroad (http://chipandsignature.americanexpress.com/). It doesn't use the "pin", however, their site says it's compatible in Europe - you just have to sign rather than enter a pin.

I'll be traveling down the Rhine in a few weeks and wondered if anyone has any insight on using this card in Europe? Neither of my banks currently supply chip-n-pin MasterCard or Visa cards yet...and I'd rather not open a new account.
    Chip & Signature will work just about everywhere a chip & PIN card would. The few times I've used my chip & signature card in Europe, they just handed me a signature slip without any fuss instead of asking for a PIN (and even on those occasions, a regular magnetic stripe card would have worked just fine - no chip necessary). The only problems I've heard of are at some unattended kiosks, such as at train stations and a few gas stations. Even then, it's not always a problem. If a kiosk does ask for a PIN by some chance, you can always try entering 0000 or your cash advance PIN.

This discussion has been closed.