Options

Packing for the Grand Australia/NZ Trip

How do we pack for three weeks away? We will be going in February. Is there time allowed to do laundry? Hotel laundry services are so expensive that I can't imagine using them. And there are some things that I don't put in a dryer. What have others done?

Comments

• Options
    There is a great place in Sydney that you can leave laundry bag in morning and pick up when back to hotel that night. I washed what I could by hand, underwear and shirts that I took that dry fast. In New Zealand a few hotels had washer/dryer. Also, in Cairns there was a washer/dryer.

Best if you can take enough to last through 1st full day in Sydney with a few things washed by hand.

Was a great trip. Enjoy.
  • Options
    Hi Emily,

One piece of advice I can give is to pack so that your clothes are interchangeable as much as you can. That will give you the freedom to rewear clothes if necessary without giving the obvious appearance of having done so. No one will notice if you wear the same shirt or pair of pants again three or four days later — and if you've washed it, it probably won't matter to you at all either!

Don't be afraid to wash some of your clothes in the hotel sink or tub. It's less than ideal, but probably easier than trying to pack 21 days worth of clothing. If you plan when you handwash things so that they'll have some time to dry before you have to repack them (generally at least 24 hours is good; less if you leave them near an air conditioning unit which will suck the moisture from the clothes), you should be good to go. You will certainly have sufficient down time to do so, especially as the actual washing doesn't take terribly long. Most hotels have some kind of option for you to hang clothes to dry, such as a small clothesline or similar. You can always ask the front desk for advice or what options they offer for air-drying handwashed clothes.

Also, echoing Crackers54's point, it's always a good idea to pack at least one clean change of clothes in your carry on bag. That way, in case the airline should have a luggage mishap on your way out, you'll have at least one clean change of clothes for the next day, and you can handwash the clothes you wore out for the day after if necessary.

Hope this helps!
    -Tim

This discussion has been closed.