Options

dressing for india day and night

My husband and I are doing the Portrait of India trip in December. Ladies, could you tell me what worked best during the day for your wardrobe, and how people dressed in the evening at some of the nicer hotels where we will be staying. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Dress code for India can best be described as "resort casual". You'll be staying in some exceptional hotels, but it can get quite warm there, so definitely keep that in mind. Here are the recommendations from our "Need to Know" section on Tauck.com:

"Clothing and Packing – Bringing the right clothing for your trip is important – we’ve partnered with New Headings who provide an "easy-to-use, one-stop shop" for your Tauck travel needs, specifically selected for this trip. Click here to visit their site.

When packing for travel to India, we suggest you select a wardrobe that is adaptable and allows for layering. In India, delicate fabrics do not stand up well to laundering facilities except at deluxe hotels. Plain cotton or cotton and synthetic blend clothing is the most practical and is the coolest in summer. It is best to avoid synthetic fabrics that do not “breathe”. A hat with a wide brim will help protect you from the harsh sun. During the fall season, a collapsible umbrella comes in handy. During the winter months, sweaters and light jackets are necessary.

We do not advise you dress in shorts, mini-skirts or tank tops unless you are on a beach. In small towns and cities, people may tend to stare if you expose too much skin. Most Indians dress in modest clothing. To respect Indian sensitivities when in public, we recommend that women wear skirts below the knee or longer or relatively loose slacks. Avoid wearing sleeveless blouses and tight pants. Young women and teenage girls, especially those dressed in tight or short dresses, may attract undesirable attention. Men should avoid going shirtless; trousers are preferable to shorts. However, shorts and sleeveless tops and blouses are perfectly acceptable attire in the warmer, tropical Kerala.

When visiting places of worship, women are not allowed to enter with bare shoulders, short pants or short skirts; a long skirt, dress, or slacks are recommended. A scarf is acceptable to cover shoulders if a woman is wearing a sleeveless top. Head covering is not required. Men should also dress appropriately for a holy sanctuary. Shorts are discouraged. All visitors will be required to remove their shoes in temples and mosques.

For the welcome and farewell dinners, we recommend resort wear to suit a tropical climate.

Following is a list of recommended items to pack:

Resort wear
    A sports jacket for men for fine dining options
    Skirt below the knee
    Loose slacks
    Trousers
    Shorts
    Short and long-sleeved shirts and blouses
    Scarf
    Light sweater
    Light waterproof jacket
    Swimwear
    Gym wear
    Sunglasses
    Sunscreen
    Wide-brimmed hat
    A pair of sturdy, yet comfortable, pre-worn walking shoes for uneven terrain
    A pair of easily removable shoes or sandals for entering temples and shrines
    Collapsible umbrella
    Toiletries, sundries, tissues
    Pre-moistened towelettes
    Handkerchiefs
    Antibacterial lotion
    Medication for allergies/aspirin/upset stomach/diarrhea
    Insect repellent
    Travel alarm
    Camera, film, memory cards, batteries and other photography accessories
    Copies of your travel documents that should be secured in the safe in your hotel room while traveling"

Monami wrote:
    My husband and I are doing the Portrait of India trip in December. Ladies, could you tell me what worked best during the day for your wardrobe, and how people dressed in the evening at some of the nicer hotels where we will be staying. Thank you.
  • Options
    Having just done this trip, for the men - really do not need a sportscoat at all for any of the events or dining at any of the restaurants. We brought them, only wore it once and wished we'd saved the space in the luggage and not brought the sportscoats. Just a nice shirt and slacks is sufficient.
  • Options
    Scottol,

you are absolutely right about the jackets for the men. My DH left his at home and was so happy to do so.

Sheila
This discussion has been closed.