Electronics and money in indochina

All the hotels are listed as having wifi and internet connections. How well did this work? Would you recommend bringing an iPad and how safe is it on travel days? I would hate to be lugging it in a day bag each day. Also, do we Need local $$ in Hanoi and the rest of Vietnam and where is the best place to exchange if so?

Comments

• Hi Mas,

I can't speak to this tour from personal experience, but as a general rule, if you need your electronics with you on tour (and it's sometimes quite hard to do without them, isn't it?) I would recommend locking it in the room safe, and making sure your iPad is also locked with a passcode just in case.
    If weight is an issue, and you have access to an iPad Mini or other smaller tablet, that would be easier to carry around in your day bag without too much weight. Personally, though I dearly love my old MacBook Pro, I nearly always leave it at home when I travel overseas, for both weight and security/financial reasons. It's a lot easier (and cheaper) to replace an iPad than a laptop.

As to the WIFI, Tauck has arranged for free internet access for all of our guests, so don't worry about fees or anything. The information we have on hand currently about internet access in each of the hotels on this trip is as follows:

Sofitel Metropole Hanoi - Wireless Internet access is available
    Halong Bay - Bhaya III - Not available
    Evason Ana Mandara - Broadband wired Internet access available in rooms
    Asiana Saigon - Wireless Internet access available in rooms
    Victoria Chau Doc Hotel - Wireless Internet access available in rooms
    Raffles Hotel Le Royal - Wireless Internet access available in rooms
    Raffles Grand Hotel - Wireless Internet access available in rooms
    Luang Say Residence - Wireless Internet access available in rooms

As to your local currency question, your Tauck Director can best advise you on where to obtain local currency. However, for your awareness, credit cards are widely accepted throughout Asia and can be used for major purchases and most hotels will convert to local currency for a small fee, but U.S. dollars are also accepted most everywhere in Cambodia and in Vietnam. ATM cards can also be used in all destinations.
    It's a good idea to carry U.S. dollars in small denominations (1's or 5's) for small purchases, as it will make small purchases more convenient and will also make bargaining for
    local handicrafts more effective. As a general rule though, it's also never a bad idea to have some of the local currency on hand either. If nothing else, whatever you have left when you leave will be somewhat of a memento to you -- or at least I've always felt that way.

I hope this is helpful!

-Tim
  • Thanks Tim. Your info was helpful. One more question, I visited a travel clinic for malaria meds and a polio and typhoid injection. The dr seemed very up to date on issues and strongly encouraged me to bring a mosquito net for Cambodia, even in the top hotels. Do any of the hotels we are staying in provide these and if not, would they have a place to attach one? I dont know if he is over cautious or if others have had the same advice.
This discussion has been closed.