What to expect..

I'm interested in understanding what we can expect during the Spotlight of India tour.. that is, I want to understand the concept of operations.. what happens during a typical day.. is the day "packaged".. are there opportunities to deviate form the planned itineraries.. when do we get back to the hotel.. are dinners only available at the hotels..

Comments

• Hello Russ, we will be doing this tour in February. We have done many Tauck Tours. Have you read the full schedule of the tour. It's very clear. We appear to have. 4 afternoons where we have free time to do as we please. I guarantee the rest of the time we will be extremely busy doing all the things mentioned. In addition,. Tauck almost always has one or two unique 'surprises' on every tour that are usually fantastic, fun, or that you will not get the opportunity to see or do on another tour. I am sure that if you want todo things on your own those free times will give you ample opportunity to do whatever you want. You do not have to do the Tauck mentioned schedule as long as you tell the Tour guide, so the rest of us are not waiting around for you. As far as not eating at the hotel, I am sure the guide will give you recommendations. If you are a well travelled world traveler then go for it. If you are not, then I suggest India is not the place to start.
  • Hello Russ, we will be doing this tour in February. We have done many Tauck Tours. Have you read the full schedule of the tour. It's very clear. We appear to have. 4 afternoons where we have free time to do as we please. I guarantee the rest of the time we will be extremely busy doing all the things mentioned. In addition,. Tauck almost always has one or two unique 'surprises' on every tour that are usually fantastic, fun, or that you will not get the opportunity to see or do on another tour. I am sure that if you want todo things on your own those free times will give you ample opportunity to do whatever you want. You do not have to do the Tauck mentioned schedule as long as you tell the Tour guide, so the rest of us are not waiting around for you. As far as not eating at the hotel, I am sure the guide will give you recommendations. If you are a well travelled world traveler then go for it. If you are not, then I suggest India is not the place to start.
  • My husband and I just did the spotlight tour in October. It is a wonderful trip. There are a few very early days and a few late nights. There are a few long days of travel between sites but take in all the sites you can.

Days do start early - so often need to be ready for breakfast about 7 and leaving for excursions by 8 or 9 (and some days 5 or 6am). Most days breakfast, lunch and dinner are included. Not all dinners are group dinners - but the paid dinners are at the hotels - and unless you want to go on your own away from hotels and know where your going. If you love Indian food - be sure to insist with waiter you enjoy spicy food (we found even when we asked for spicy it was "dumbed down and bland" - exceptions being Oberoi and Trident in New Delhi and Rajvillas Jaipur)

Most days are quite full from morning to evening.

This is an amazing tour. Also suggest checking out some of the Oberoi "Experiences" on their website - not part of the Tauck tour but some worth doing. We arrived a couple days early in New Delhi and did the Tea Tasting, and private cooking lesson with the chef at the hotel. The cooking lesson was fantastic!! Also did an excursion to Arkshardham temple (car/driver from Oberoi) - worth seeing and spending a few hours there.

Agra is one of the longest days if you do the sunrise at the Taj and optional afternoon excursion. We decided to just spend the afternoon at the pool at the Oberoi in Agra.

Definitely do the sunrise at the Taj Mahal (though there are staff there and others that will try to guide you around before all the tourists and help taking pictures of you - and will want you to give them 400-500-600+rupees for it (for 30 minutes and about a days pay to them) - tour director will tell you to avoid and say no - your choice if you choose to)

In Jaipur we did the Oberoi Experience - Elephant Safair to Naila - was a wonderful elephant ride through the farm country, with "high tea" (meal unto itself) at Naila Fort (private residence of Mr. Oberoi)

In Khajuraho wish we had more time to spend at the temples/monuments and for shopping in the shops nearby. Hotel is walking distance from the temples. Enjoyed the pool - and go see the puppet show the kids put on - very cute.
This discussion has been closed.