Grand Australia and New Zealand Tour

Hi to anyone that has been on this tour,

We are going on the April 2nd tour and would like some help on what clothes to take for the trip. You know like how many shoes, slacks, shorts, shirts, etc. Where can we do laundry?

Thanks,

Bob

Comments

• We are going on the April 2nd tour as well. Every hotel has laundry facilities. However, no one can tell you the right amount to bring. We have been on a Tauck tour before and everyone is different. For myself, I am bringing 5 pairs of pants, 4 pairs of shorts, about 8 to 10 shirts, 1 paiir of shoes for the night, 1 pair of sneakers, sandals. My wife is taking approximately double of every item, except for the shoes. There she probably has about 6 to 8 pairs. We are from New Jersey. Where are you from?

Alan and Felice
  • Hi Dude,
    My husband and I were on the February 7 Grand Australia and New Zealand tour. There are about 4 opportunities to do laundry and a nice Chinese laundry in Sydney located a few blocks from the hotel. For a low price, you can take your laundry there and pick it up the next day.
    Remember the 23k weight limit on the flights and pack as lightly as possible and save room for possible purchases. Staying under weight was a problem for most of the people on our tour. You need nothing dressy (no sport coat) My husband took two pairs of khakis, two pairs of shorts, two sweaters, a jacket and I think about 6 shirts, sandals and walking shoes. I don't know how different your weather will be than ours was, so that might affect how much of what type of clothing to bring. Most of us had the hiking/travel pants with zip off legs. ExOfficio makes some nice ones for men and women.
    An extra memory card for your camera is important. All hotels had hairdryers.
    If you arrive a day or two early in Melbourne as we did, you will enjoy the free city shuttle that stops at key spots all around the city and gives you a good overview. The aquarium, Immigration museum and Melbourne museum are all worth seeing. If you are a senior, be sure to ask for a "concession", which is the term for senior discount.
    Have fun. Renay
  • Hi Alan and Felice,

Thank you for info. As I type we are busy packing for our trip. We are from Scottsdale, Arizona.
    Hope to meet you at the welcome dinner.
  • Hi Renay,

Thank you for all the information on our upcoming tour. Especially the "concession: tip........We've earned it right?
    We will probably max out our luggage, so I will make sure to leave some room for our gifts.

Thanks again,

Dude
  • We are going on the April 2nd tour as well. Every hotel has laundry facilities. However, no one can tell you the right amount to bring. We have been on a Tauck tour before and everyone is different. For myself, I am bringing 5 pairs of pants, 4 pairs of shorts, about 8 to 10 shirts, 1 paiir of shoes for the night, 1 pair of sneakers, sandals. My wife is taking approximately double of every item, except for the shoes. There she probably has about 6 to 8 pairs. We are from New Jersey. Where are you from?

Alan and Felice

I'm also from NJ and am considering taking the tour in March 2013. Would love to have your overall comments on the tour that you took. For instance, was it hot in April? What kind of flight arrangements did you have? Thanks in advance for your response.
  • Hi Marie,

Hard to tell about weather! You generalise, then in the fullness of time, you fall in either a sweaty or shivering heap! So, generally speaking ;), March/April is autumn, with all the possibilities of an Indian summer and very changeable weather patterns. Combine that with the point that your tour will whiz you from one widely disparate geographical point to another, all in the space of what? 10 days or so? Can't even imagine how many weather patterns are involved with that! But, by planning your trip for early autumn, you will quite possibly avoid the rainy/cyclone season in the tropical north. You will also, possibly, avoid the worst of the high summer heat in the Centre. For Melbourne, the weather could well be delightfully balmy. As for Sydney, it's more likely to rain there (but who can really tell because the records don't seem to apply now in this age of global warming) ... and be more stormy ... than in Melbourne.

It's a long way round to say you might, or might not, avoid some of the worst extremes that the Australian climate is famous for if you travel in March or April, or indeed September/October. Overall, it's a much better time to visit than in the height of summer (for the Centre) or than the cyclone/rainy season for the tropical north. It's a nice compromise, really. If you were only travelling into the outback, I'd suggest the perfect months are July & August because it's winter and the daytime temperatures are much more pleasant. It's all about compromises if you are trying to see a few sites in a very short time over a land area that is larger than the lower 48!

Come in spring or autumn. Hedge your bets! And have a wonderful time while you are here.

Cheers,

Jan

• edited December 2013
    We are going on the April 2nd tour as well. Every hotel has laundry facilities. However, no one can tell you the right amount to bring. We have been on a Tauck tour before and everyone is different. For myself, I am bringing 5 pairs of pants, 4 pairs of shorts, about 8 to 10 shirts, 1 paiir of shoes for the night, 1 pair of sneakers, sandals. My wife is taking approximately double of every item, except for the shoes. There she probably has about 6 to 8 pairs. We are from New Jersey. Where are you from?

Alan and Felice

Exactly! There are laundry facilities that are accessible. The Amount of things to brings depend on the span of days your having the trip and this includes also some of the water activities .

Austin
This discussion has been closed.