Additional costs and type of clothing for Scandinavia

We took the tour which began July 1. It was both breathtaking and educational. Here is what we wish we had know ahead of time.

Even simple meals on your own can be quite expensive. Cokes - $8, a sandwich/burger - $40, a dinner starting at $65-70 a person. Servers are well paid, but service can be very slow. No tipping is needed. When using a credit or debit card you will occasionally be asked for your PIN number! Tell the server you want to use your signature instead. Ask for the manager if the server does not understand.

As for clothing: women wear slacks, varying the weight according to the temperature. We had one hot day in Stockholm when I wore bermudas, but if I were to do it again I wouldn't take anything shorter than capris. Most women wore black pieces in various combinations. I chose basic khaki with 7-8 tops for variety. For the cooler days, ferry trips, glacier hike I found two layers to be adequate - a jean jacket or sweater with an Eddie Bauer type raincoat/windbreaker. Some women wore fleece.

I took NIkes and sandals for day but wore the Nikes the most because there is so much walking. We did hand laundry at the hotels where we stayed 2 or 3 nights. Hotel laundry costs as much or more that you probably paid for the clothes!

Would be happy to answer any questions.

Comments

• We'll be taking the August 5 trip and want to thank you for posting this useful information.

How "dressy" should clothing be? Do men wear jacket and tie?
  • My husband and I just returned to the U.S. yesterday from our Scandinavia trip, which to say the least was most glorious. You will be shocked at the prices of things, particularly food and laundry costs. Take clothes you can easily wash in the bathroom sink; these will be dry by the next morning or two. Eat a lot for breakfast because the incidental food costs are prohibitive. They all speak English so that's not a problem. We encountered a lot of tourists everywhere. Bring a rain slicker; that's a must! The hotels toward the end of the trip don't have air conditioning, and that was not pleasant. Every bed comes with a down comforter. You can leave your city hotel window open at night, but it's quite noisy if you do so...had trouble sleeping. The ferry to Oslo was fantastic. To save money on the costs of independent sightseeing, we invested in purchasing the Stockholm and Bergen cards. You can get them at the i. All of the city guides Tauck used were great. Our tour director Mike was wonderful as were the three drivers throughout the trip! Lastly, I also speak for my husband...as New Yorkers, our hearts goes out to the people of Norway for their national tragedy. They have our prayers and genuine support. These people are gracious hosts and very kind. Indiscriminate acts of violence can occur anywhere, even in a peaceful and bucolic nation as Norway. Travel well and please stay safe!
  • Thanks for this information. We're leaving a day early for the Aug.4-18 trip. Good things to know . . .
  • Thank You!
    We are going on the Aug 21 trip.
    If you dont mind:
    Do men need to bring jackets for dinner?
    Can men wear khakis or dress slacks without a jacket for dinner?
  • It might be a bit cooler for you than my trip on 7-8. The only dressy times are the first reception and last night dinner. Some men wore suits and ties. Jackets are not necessary since you are in the hotel already. You can get by with a nice pair of pants or neat jeans. Polo shirts or dress shirts suffice, unless you want to bring a suit. Most Swedes and Norwegians are not the type to really dress for dinner. We didn't see that at all. You're on vacation, so relax. We did go to some posh, expensive restaurants in Stockholm and Bergen. Nobody was dressed like you would find in NYC. Have fun!
This discussion has been closed.